Thursday, January 22, 2015

C is for Cookie. And Crockpot.

I sometimes get ahead of myself with this blogging thing, and end up with any number of drafts.  Eventually I get around to finishing and publishing them, although I have to admit a good number get deleted for any number of reasons.  Too dark, too personal, too likely to cause me trouble.

Part of the problem is that my mind never stops running tapes in my head.  The other problem is that when I am home, I cannot stay out of the kitchen.  Even now as I sit here typing, I feel the pull towards the oven - I've been wanting to bake cookies.  I am forcing myself to stay put.  Besides having already baked corn muffins today, I saved the clams and completed two more recipe blog posts.  I now have six fully completed, ready to go blog posts, each one with a really good recipe.  But I can't stay away from the keyboard anymore than I can resist the pull of the kitchen.

Also, I am trying to keep panic at arm's length.  Never fails the night before return to work after a weekend.  Especially when I am facing a heavy docket including a couple of trials and I don't have my files here at home.   Oh hell.  To quote Scarlett O'Hara "tomorrow is another day."  And "Bizarre Foods" is on.

I still want to bake cookies.

That inspired me to put some more work into my recipe collection project.  The last group of printed recipes to be placed into plastic sheet protectors is desserts - cakes, cookies, pies, puddings.  It's a pretty thick stack of paper, and this is definitely going to require more than one ring binder.  After going through all of the "tried" recipes - the "to-be-tried" pile still has to be worked on - I came across so many cookie recipes I forgot I had.  Old favorites from back in the day when I would bake 600 cookies for Christmas parties and gift-giving.  Some family heirlooms, like my grandmother's moon cookies and my mother-in-law's butter cookies.  The nut cup recipe I got from that really obnoxious junior broker from Connecticut.  Four types of oatmeal cookies.  Macaroons (not to be confused with French macarons).  Someday soon, I am simply going to have to break down and bake some cookies.  Maybe tomorrow.

Ha ha, no really.  I got home at 10 PM.  No warm sweet aroma of cookies wafting from my kitchen for me.  And I had kind of pinned it down to a white cake mix cream cheese cookie with dried cherries and blueberries.  An Independence Day cookie in January.  Or, assuming I had no time to pick up the dried fruit, a mixture of chips - semi sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla chips, and butterscotch chips.  Spotted cream cheese cookies.

Maybe this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment