Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes you might find, You get what you need: Your Cheatin' Chicken Soup

Breakfast:  What I had was black coffee and a Drake's cherry pie.



But what I wanted was a cafe au lait and a paper bag of hot beignets from Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans.



Check out the prices.  Glorious!  These pictures were taken last month when we were on the road to Dallas.  We were able to spend two nights in New Orleans, one on the trip out, the second on the trip back.  A stop at Cafe Du Monde was obligatory, and I'm glad it was.  Never mind that it was below freezing and the wind blowing off the water was the stuff that nightmares are made of for people who have lived in Florida the past 19 years.  Cafe Du Monde was worth every shiver.



Back to the present: the day sort of went downhill from there.  Nothing tragic, just ... tedious.  I did not have time to knit one stitch and I ate too many crunchy Cheetos.  I did slog through paperwork and prepared for a trial, but the paperwork and the Cheetos left me unbearably tired and perhaps even a little cranky.

So I decided I needed some chicken soup.  That may seem utterly ridiculous considering the amount of cooking I did over the past few days, but ... the truth is, I can't eat much of anything that I cook.  If I am lucky, I can taste a bite or two, but that's it.  If I try to eat more than that, I suffer.  It took me four hours to eat that Drake's cherry pie, and I can't finish more than half of one of the three beignets that Cafe Du Monde puts in that little brown paper bag with all that powdered sugar. 

I have better luck with soup, although I have to be wary of soups that are very thick or contain big delicious honking chunks of meat or vegetables.  Which is why I came up with this quick and dirty recipe for a really delicious, relatively easy to swallow, double comfort bowl of chicken soup.  The recipe and pictures can be found by clicking on this link, and I promise to someday tell the story of how it is a food blogger can't eat what she cooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment