Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Project No News Today Affair

I think I'm going to stay away from the news today. No New York Times, no Daily News, no Time magazine, and definitely no FOX. Nor CNN, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, PBS, ABC, BBC, Orlando Sentinel, or even the Huffington Post. (If you finish this post with a raging case of Billy Joel earworm, my work here is done.) I should probably steer clear of Facebook as well, in fact it is at the top of today's avoidance list. Besides the worldwide violence, racism, anti-semitism, and the rampant stupidity of both Houses of Congress, two of my favorite ladies - HRC and The Notorious RBG - are suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, having each shot themselves in their respective foot. Being retired, I have entirely too much time to follow too many news outlets, and being disabled I run the risk of dwelling on all of the bad news to the point of triggering depression and anxiety attacks.

So I'm going to step back, Jack, and engage in less stressful activities like making some mashed potatoes or watching old episodes of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."


Children of the Sixties, didn't we have the best shows to watch? And Colonel Klink, Mr. Spock, Captain Kirk and Dr. Ducky Mallard, aka Illya Kuryakin, all in the same episode? Fab! Cool! Freaking out!


There's knitting, of course. I've been testing some new lace patterns, which may not mean much to you but is my idea of engaging in positive activity.


Speaking of activity, I had thought of spending a few spoons and taking a brief morning walk, but a reliable source (Siri) tells me it is already 82 degrees at 9 AM, and the humidity is 79%. With those numbers I wouldn't make it past the courthouse which is on the next block, and given my fibromyalgically-induced intolerance to temperature, I'd probably keel over and die at the foot of the courthouse steps, which would be tragically poetic but hardly in my best interest.

What all of this means of course is another day spent holed up in my room, lights low, AC and stand fan on full power, listening to snoring, purring, paw-gnawing pets, and NO NEWS.

Donald who?

No comments:

Post a Comment