Tuesday, June 16, 2015

In The Meantime

I am always astounded and astonished at just how quickly my mood can flip.  This morning, I woke feeling fairly fine, but soon thereafter fell into a funk.  This is exactly what the new medication is supposed to prevent, but clearly it is not working yet.

The electricians were in the house doing major work mostly in the kitchen.  My kitchen.  This made me crabby.  I had a prescription to pick up at CVS, which got me out of the house, having failed to accomplish certain things I needed to get done.  So I had a panic attack, but before that, I had to get all of my furry children upstairs and behind closed doors because the electricians were walking in and out of the house, leaving outside doors open.  The pets were not happy, and expressed themselves vociferously.  I would have gritted my teeth if I had any teeth to grit. I escaped to my car, which was hotter than the interior of a Caja China.  That actually felt good on my back, at least for the first few minutes.


Instead of heading straight to CVS, I stopped first at Hobby Lobby.  Yes, Hobby Lobby.  I love Hobby Lobby.  I don't care that they don't carry Hanukkah doodads, or that they close on Sunday so that their employees can observe a religious day of rest, and the Supreme Court's decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby is irrelevant to where I buy my sock yarn.

I wandered around for about 45 minutes, petting yarn and admiring the colors.  I checked the displays of needles and hooks and all the other gizmos us knitters utilize.  I looked at their selection of pattern books.



Dazzling, absolutely dazzling. Calmed me down, and cheered me up.


No, I made no purchases - let's face it, even after giving away a great deal of yarn last year, when we moved out of the Orlando house, I've got enough yarn and needles and knitting supplies to open my own store.  I still felt better about the day in general. I did okay at CVS.  I love our CVS.  I love the pharmacy department and the chocolate selection.  And then ...

And then ... I tried to eat.  Epic fail.  Not the big, sloppy cheeseburger with grilled onions I was craving from Five Guys.  I went to Wawa instead and got a chicken salad bowl.  I thought it would be easier to eat than the cheeseburger.  Those first two bites were delicious.

And that's all she wrote.

Not really.  I made it home, lost the two bites, freed the puppies, and took a peek at my newest acquisition, a cookbook with the wonderful title Carnivore by Michael Symon, just before Rob and I went to pick up Chinese food.  Finally, something that stayed down, and that meant my mood went up.  Until it crash lands yet again.  



Speaking of crash landing, my garden needs work. The sweet and jalapeƱo peppers are hanging on for dear life.  One of my front lawn hibiscus are being eaten up by aphids.  The mint is gone, damn it. I've got to fill and set up the remaining porch rail boxes to plant the cilantro and - this was a very nice surprise - squash plants given to me by my neighbor, offshoots from his own plants.  He also has an urban front yard garden, and he's even closer to the courthouse. Urban gardens are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment