Sunday, May 15, 2011

Still in search of



and last but not least, my cranberry bread recipe.  Since it uses fresh cranberries, it stands to reason I might be able to swap out with fresh (or canned) peaches.
.
funny pictures - To remove writer's block
I wish it was that easy.

My Ira. Just thirteen years old this April 11th, if you count from this incarnation.   Technically speaking, he will be 35 this coming August 28th.  I suppose that may seem strange, coming as it is from an attorney, a logical individual known to be down to earth and not given to flights of fancy, but the simple truth is, I believe in God, ghosts, and the occasional reincarnation.  The proof is in the pussycat, and his name is Ira Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda Morris Rothfeld.

More on that later, but right now, the issue is Ira sitting in my chair, pulling my hand away from the computer's mouse, stretching out on the keyboard, or climbing into my lap whenever I decide to sit down and write.  Not tuna, not kitty crunchies, not nothin' can distract him from his Holy Grail.


I believe that Ira thinks email, Delphi, Facebook and Google Blogger are creations of the Devil, because they divert my attention from him.  Of course he also feels the same way about those yappie dogs, Woody and Indiana, and Princess Polly, the other gray cat who has been known to nose him out of his position at my side, as well as all of my efforts at knitting.

 

Maybe he's right.  It seems Facebook and Google haven't been playing fair out there in cyberworld.  (But, my dear furry Muse, that won't keep me from writing.  I just hope somebody out there is reading.  Or cooking.)

Speaking of cooking (this is, nominally speaking, a food blog) I came across not one, but two interesting (read:  I want to run out and buy the ingredients and cook them today) recipes in a cool little cookbook I picked up 25, 30 years ago, by Jane Butel.

Finger Lickin' Rib Stickin' Great Tastin' Hot & Spicy Barbecue  I said it was cool and little. But a lot of big flavors inside.  Apparently, Jane Butel is credited with having started the Tex-Mex food craze, and she conducts cooking classes which I would love to attend.  Unfortunately, she teaches in Arizona and New Mexico which sort of limits availability.  But when I checked out her site, I found this list of recipes.  Wow!  Did I hit the motherlode or what?  And before I headed out to Publix!  Some might call that serendipity.  I call that dinner.

Update:  No cooking on Saturday, space rangers.  Rob and I headed out to Target for eyeglasses, and while we were there the skies opened up.  Thunder, lightning, buckets of water.  Once we were back in the car, we were not going to get out again to run into Publix.  Maybe tomorrow.  If not, there are still enough leftovers here to feed a family of six.  We are quite happy with the accomplishment of getting new glasses (and in Rob's case, an updated prescription) plus having all of our existing glasses tricked out with new nose pads.

 In the news: 

Which idiot jounalist described this hovel as a "mansion"?

Osama, you sorry excuse for a big, strong, powerful terrorist ... your organization has been reduced to threatening little old ladies.  Wow, that's some revenge they have planned!  Going after President Obama's grandma.  Shame on Al Qaeda, and shame on you.

Speaking of shame, we hope you got an earful from your colleagues in the Seventh Circle of Hell.  Or maybe not, since you've spent the last few days up to your ears in boiling blood and water.  Well, pull yourself together, man.  We've got a little roadtrip planned for you and you won't want to be late to the party.

First, the middle ring of the Seventh Circle.  Here are the suicides, those who have committed the ultimate act of violence against themselves.  I have to tell you, I have a problem with the original description of this ring, as I do not agree with Dante that all suicides should be punished in this manner.  Instead, I think this ring should be limited to those who suicide to escape punishment for their earthly crimes.  One of my favorite suicides is Hermann Goering, the one time Reichsmarshall of Nazi Germany.


Quite the imposing figure.  Of course he doesn't look like that anymore, as the evil suicides are transformed into gnarly trees and bushes and are fed upon by the Harpies.  So you may have some trouble locating your old buddy, Mohamed Ata, one of the most evil suicides in history.  Unless maybe that twig in the Harpies' mouth is him ...

Watch your step as we head in the Inner Ring ... here are the blasphemers, the sodomites, and the usurers.  I bet you feel right at home here in the desert of flaming sand, but don't get comfortable, we're just passing through.

Getting to the Eighth Circle is a bit of a problem as we will have to rely on available transportation down the cliff - which is to say, we have to catch a ride with Geryon.   Don't we fooled by his honest face; there's a real sting in his tail. 

I've convinced Geryon to do a fly-over, so that we can skip the endless Eighth Circle Bolgias and head for the bottom of the Ninth.  No, this isn't a trip to Yankee Stadium, you poor fool.  Hey, look down there at Bolgia 5 - there is a serious overcrowding problem there.  Corrupt politicians - meaning at least half of all politicians since the beginning of time - are immersed in a lake of boiling pitch.  What a reward for a life of public service!  Boss Tweed, Spiro Agnew, Fulgencio Batista, Ferdinand Marcos, just to name a few.

Speaking of politicians, I guess I missed this when it came out a few weeks ago:

"As Katie Couric gets set to leave CBS News after five years in the anchor chair, it doesn't appear as if Sarah Palin will be sending any flowers.  Appearing on Fox News Tuesday, Palin mocked the CBS newswoman who told People Magazine she is looking forward to a new position that will facilitate "multi-dimensional storytelling.""


Sour Grapes Sarah, just kwitcher bitchin' ... it's not Katie Couric's fault that you could not answer a most basic question during the 2008 campaign:

"In a series of interviews with Couric authorized by the McCain campaign, Palin stumbled over a number of questions, most memorably when asked, "When it comes to establishing your world view…what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read?"

Palin appeared unable to name a single publication – a performance for which she was much maligned – and later said she found the question insulting, as well as emblematic of a liberal slant in the mainstream media."

Not even the New York Times, Sarah?  Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Newsweek, Washington Post, The Guardian, Pravda ... you couldn't come up with anything?  And you're dissing Katie Couric?

No comments:

Post a Comment