Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Hell NO, Joe - Turkey Stuffing

Linda did a fabulous job trimming hibiscus and bougainvillea

Tuesday - Having been incapacitated for the best part of a day, it is a relief that I was able to get out of bed this morning and pursue at least some of the tasks on my list.

I love lists. I love making them, and I love deleting items from them. Shopping lists, packing lists, to-do lists, I'm all about lists. I always had a list at work on the corner of my desk, and I have alway kept a small stalk of lists on my kitchen counter. I don't know if other people keep written lists, especially these days when your iPhone can make your list for you, but that's the way my grandmother did it and so do I. Many years ago, while visiting her son, my Uncle Marty, over Thanksgiving at his home in Cape Coral, I noticed that he too kept lists and other small, important scraps of paper in the corner of his kitchen counter.  Good thing I developed the family habit, otherwise at this point in my post-menopausal fibromyalgic life, I would forget everything.

Time to carpet-bomb Aphidistan

One item on my list was "aphid tonic" which is not as weird as it sounds. I officially declared war on the aphids that have been destroying my pepper plants, as well as damaging my tomato plants.  War means ordnance, and I have taken up the challenge.  No half measures here.  Aphid tonic is a cocktail of Murphy's Oil Soap, vegetable oil, rubbing alcohol and good old water, created by the Garden Rebel. Follow the link, he's an interesting guy. I made up a small amount and sprayed my slightly denuded pepper plants and my big jalapeño plant, early this morning before the sun had a chance to interfere. Now I have to wait and see if the little buggers return.

I had to trim off the really badly affected leaves

                                      

I froze the pork belly, flanken, and pork chops because there is enough food in my refrigerator to feed the neighborhood.  Another day, another month, when I am having a good day, I will cook them. Today, all I am cooking is the stuffing for the turkey.  No need to use up the benefit of yesterday's long rest on a turkey. Besides, the stuffing will taste better after sitting in the refrigerator overnight.


These are the ingredients for the stuffing - you know how to make stuffing, right?  easiest thing in the world. Sauté some of the stuff, add the rest of the stuff and then smush it all together. Bake it outside or inside a turkey. Enjoy.


1-8 oz. chorizo sausage, peeled and chopped fine
4 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
1 very large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
 4 or more cloves garlic, chopped
1 Gala apple, cored and chopped
1-14 oz. bag stuffing cubes
1 can Campbell's chicken broth
1 soup can water

kosher salt
ground black pepper
dried thyme
ground sage (plus 6 fresh leaves, chopped)
dried rosemary (plus a small amount of fresh leaves, chopped)
granulated garlic
Hungarian sweet paprika
ground ginger
ground cinnamon

Marigolds!

One other thing I did get done, although it wore me out I cannot lie, was a shopping trip to the garden department at Home Depot.  This was for herbs and pepper plants only. I'm not ready to plant directly into the garden, but I think I can manage the porch rail planters. Well, some of them. If my pictures ever transfer from the iPhone to the iPad, I'll be glad to show you.  I've even got marigolds to attract more bees.

More peppers - green, red, and poblano

Lemon thyme, and the oregano I salvaged from the garden

Onion chives, fernleaf dill, cilantro

Rosemary, sage, purple basil - still missing Italian parsley

Finally, the first Democratic Presidential debate occurred tonight. I hope you all watched it. I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican, as you know. At this point in my life, I am politically conservative except when I am liberal. In my opinion, Hillary Clinton rocked that debate. I can also see why so many people like Bernie Sanders. Doesn't mean I would vote for him, but he's charismatic for sure.

Joe Biden, still "agonizing" over whether to run, did not appear. Having bypassed this critical first debate, he needs to stay out for good. If you screw this up for Hillary, old man, an awful lot of Democrats are going to be voting for Donald Trump. Don't be a spoiler, Joe - retire gracefully, be the elder statesman, help your party and its rightful candidate. In other words, sit down and shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment