Monday, February 29, 2016

Cats, Carocats, and Customizable Chicken

I am so fracking angry I'm ready to scream, after I pull all my hair out. I had just finished a beautiful blog post full of gorgeous pictures and patter from the Ancient City Cat Show, plus a fully written recipe for chicken stuffed with spinach and feta. I was just at the point of putting in the photos of the food and the links for Carocats and the cat show, when I decided to head upstairs.

Ancient City Cat Club Inaugural Cat Show, St. Augustine.        

And then, I lost it. Not just the last few lines I'd typed, but the entire post, which had taken three days to write. Gone, leaving just the bit I had typed on Saturday. This makes no sense, as I save constantly as I write, and this has never happened before.

The thing that kills me is that it was a really good post with lots of photos and captions and explanations written in my best quirky style. The recipe was typed up as I finished each step, which means there is no other place it is written down. The report on the cat show was, in the word of the Ninth Doctor, "Fantastic!" I still have all the photos tucked safely in a web album, but I can't re-create the writing. Needless to say, I am totally bummed. And may I add, totally pissed off. I was THIS CLOSE to pressing the Publish button. I was ready for my nap! My back hurts beyond the helping limits of Baclofen, and I am frankly and crankily exhausted.

The damn recipe is gone, except for the general outline which I will type up if and when I ever calm done. I can post the photos - you've got to see the gorgeous Solo Bashert - but the rest of my cat stories and background are gone where the recipe flew, gone with the wind that swept through Georgia.
Damn DAMN DAMN.

Cousin Michael Rothfeld introduces me to 
International Winner Supreme Grand Champion Carocats Solo Bashert

This American Shorthair Silver Classic Tabby is one of the two breeding males for Carocats which is owned by our cousins Carol and Michael Rothfeld. (Yes, Michael and Robert bear an uncanny resemblance to each other.)


I love that this mellow stud kitty is named "Bashert" which is a Yiddish word meaning one's soulmate, the life partner you are meant to be with (and wait for). I also love that one of the ladies at the show traveled from Australia, not only to attend the show but to bring home her second Carocats kitten.

I was not there to purchase a kitty, being reasonably sure that my pet-adopting days are over, but that doesn't mean I went home empty-handed:



I purchased this from the charming Aussie lady, who explained that the sale was part of a fund raiser so that the Australian cat club could afford to bring over judges for their own cat shows. Cat business is serious business, which I suppose I've always known. I had such a good time, meeting kitties and watching the judging and asking questions.

A first show for this Carocats female, "Kissy" (Kissie?)

In the kitten ring, the judge explains what she is looking for

Bengal 

Devon Rex

Burmese (I think)

Cornish Rex

Rob and I walked up and down all of the aisles to see the different cats - longhairs and shorthairs in all different colors and patterns, and a veritable treasure trove of breeds like Himalayan, Tonkinese. Havana Brown, Ragdolls, Munchkin, Savannah, Persian and too many to remember.  I had a great time.

Here's what's left of the original post:
I'm ready to do a little cooking, good looking. Something straightforward, like chicken, but a trifle sneaky, stuffed with spinach. Feta cheese from Trader Joe's and lotsa garlic. Sun dried tomatoes. What could be bad? But before that, I am going to get my haircut. This is a Very Big Deal, as I have been cutting my own hair for years. As the fibromyalgia flares up more frequently, it makes it difficult for me to spend the time and energy. Since I wear it short now - another concession to the fibromyalgia (and let's face it, grey hair looks better styled short) I figure it was time to let a professional do the hard part.

Not bad. A little shorter than I initially envisioned, but a good short. I can best be described as a superannuated pixie, at least in my mind, and I'm comfortable with the look.

Cory and I took the Tai Chi class early this morning, and oh lordie, it was cold. Really cold, just 45 degrees which is an utterly ridiculous temperature for Kissimmee. I swayed like a bear, moved hands through clouds, and energetically cast off excess chi, and I still never warmed up. Maybe if I turn on the stove ...

Okay, this is another one of those recipes you should keep in your back pocket. Chicken is the world's easiest protein to cook. This is an uncomplicated, virtually instinctive arrangement of food.

5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chicken tender intact
1 - 16 oz. bottle Ken's Northern Italian with Basil & Romano Dressing & Marinade


With a sharp, thin boning knife, cut a pocket into the top of the thickest part of the chicken breast.   Divide the chicken into 2 1-gallon ziploc bags.


Now let me try to finish the recipe:

Essentially, you are going to use any kind of stuffing - a combination of vegetables, a starch, maybe some cheese - to fill the pocket you made in the chicken. I used a 15 oz. package of steam-in-bag frozen spinach, cooked; a 6 oz. tub of crumbled feta cheese with Mediterranean herbs from Trader Joe's; 2 oz. cream cheese; 3 shallots and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped and softened by cooking briefly in 1 tablespoon of EVOO; a tablespoon of chopped sun-dried tomatoes' salt, pepper, granulated garlic; 1/3 cup white quinoa cooked in 2/3 cup water according to package directions.


Combine the stuffing ingredients and fill the pockets; arrange the chicken in 2 aluminum baking pans and pour on the remaining marinade. Sprinkle some seasoned panko over the tops and sides, and spray lightly with butter-flavor Pam. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 60-75 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the panko is toasty brown. If the panko browns too quickly, cover with a small piece of foil.


That's it, I am publishing this thing before it also disappears into the cyber mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment