Sunday, November 30, 2014

Hang on, Soupy - Simply Soothing Salmon Soup


Hang on sloopy, sloopy hang on
Hang on sloopy, sloopy hang on
Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town
and everybody else, tries to put my sloopy down

Sloopy I don't care, what your daddy do
Cuz you know sloopy, girl, I'm in love with you


I'm in love with soup from Wawa, but Wawa had no soup. Perhaps what I should have done is hire the famous detective Philo Kvetch to investigate exactly why the Wawa on 192, across from the Kissimmee Walmart, was soupless at lunchtime.  I had made up my mind that soup was the only way to go, if indeed I planned on getting some form of nutrition down my gullet.  And that was my plan, because breakfast had been a total wash, like dinner the night before.  

My disppointment was palpable, and that led to just a touch of mental confusion.  Outside of the courtroom, I get rattled easily. What I ended up ordering for lunch was so far from the soothing soup I'd planned for, I'm embarrassed to admit it over the internet.  Three bites and it was all over.

So if I wanted soup, I was going to have to prepare it myself, and that's exactly what I did at dinner time, raiding my pantry for cans of this and that.  I really did enjoy it, and Cory said it was "fantastic".  You will have to judge for yourself.  

You may notice that while this is similar to a fish chowder, there are no potatoes.  Proper application of culinary license on my part.  I think they would detract from the delicate salmon flavor.  Same with the addition of thyme, one of my favorite herbs, especially in chowders.  Like my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Campbell, taught us about the use of commas "when in doubt, leave it out."  Good advice anytime.  Speaking of Campbell's you can't help but notice that I used not one, not two, but three types of condensed soup in this recipe.  And canned chicken broth and canned salmon.  Trust me, this works.  All you need is a "can-do" attitude.  (Okay, that was a dreadful pun.  Mea culpa.)

Simply Soothing Salmon Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
kosher salt, to taste
coarse black pepper, to taste
granulated garlic, to taste

1-14.5 oz. can chicken broth (Swanson)
1 cup frozen vegetables (mix of corn, peas, maybe green beans, but no carrots)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (Campbell's)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's)
1 can condensed tomato soup (Campbell's)
1-14.75 oz. can pink salmon (Bumblebee), drained, skin and bones removed
1/2 soup can half and half
4 tablespoons sherry (not cooking sherry)


Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.  Add the onion, carrot, celery, and green pepper.  Stir and saute over medium-high heat.  Add the salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.  Continue cooking until the edges of the onions begin to brown.  You do want caramelization to take place, and for there to be some browned bits left on the bottom of the pan.  Add the chicken broth; stir and scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan.  Bring to a boil, and add the frozen vegetables.  Bring back up tp a boil and add the condensed soup, one can at a time.  Stir well after each addition so that soup is smooth and well-blended.  Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for a few minutes.

Break the salmon up into bite-sized chunks, using your hands.  Add to the soup and stir.  Finally, add the half and half and the sherry.  Take off the heat and stir.  Serve immediately.  Refrigerate any leftovers, and take to the office for lunch the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment