Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Bigger They Are - Asian-Inspired Teriyaki Chicken and Kimchee Sliders

Okay, let's get to the good stuff first:

Asian-Inspired Teriyaki Chicken and Kimchee Sliders

Makes 12 slider-sized sandwiches

1/2 to 2/3 of package frozen cooked, cubed chicken (I found Tyson brand at Walmart)
1 bottle Panda Express Mandarin Teriyaki Sauce
Sesame oil, optional
Clover honey, optional
Red pepper flakes, optional
1 small onion, halved lengthwise and sliced fairly thin
1 package Pepperidge Farm slider rolls left attached, sliced through the middle
8 leaves mild kimchee cabbage, drained, sliced crosswise into strips. Pat dry before assembling sliders.
Freeze dried or fresh chives, to taste (optional)
6 slices Havarti cheese, cut in half
2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
Sesame seeds, light and/or dark

Combine the frozen chicken, onions, and about half of the bottle of Mandarin Teriyaki sauce in a crockpot. Taste the teriyaki sauce and if you like add a small amount of the sesame oil and/or the honey. Also optional, add some of the pepper flakes. Cover and cook on High for 1 1/2 to two hours stirring a few times during the cooking.  When done, set aside to cool at room temperature.

Set the bottom layer of the rolls in a rectangular baking dish. Remove the chicken and onions from the crock pot with a slotted spoon, allowing excess sauce to drip off. Distribute evenly on each roll bottom, then top the chicken with the kimchee. Sprinkle on the chives and place the half slices of cheese over each slider. Lightly brush some of the remaining teriyaki sauce on the underside of the roll tops, and place the tops over the cheese. Press down gently.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush the tops and visible sides of the rolls with the butter. Sprinkle on the sesame seed. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 10 - 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

I took several photos but cannot figure out how to find them and store them so they can be inserted onto the page. Google forced their new photo service on me, and it is nothing like the easy, breezy Picasa.  For now, this is all I got:


Wait, wait, a few more just showed up:


Tuesday is not the busiest day of my usual week, and like Monday, I rarely stir from the house. Except on Tuesday evening I have tai chi class, which means that during the day I need to maintain some semblance of normality. So this morning, instead of pulling myself together physically and mentally, I took a fall in the laundry room, landing so hard that Robert ran upstairs to see what had happened. Miraculously I did not break or even sprain anything (at least nothing that I am aware of) although I managed to simultaneously hit my right knee, hip, and shoulder against the ceramic tile floor.

Wherever my guardian angel is hanging out, thank you thank you very much.  However, what I am concerned about, now that several hours have passed, is that my clumsy inadvertent attempt at breakdancing has set off a fibromyalgia flare. Since I was already dealing with some back and right leg pain, it becomes a matter of degree, i.e. I hurt a lot more than I did before the fall.  Most excitement I've had since Election Day night.

Speaking of elections, the President-elect is attempting to assemble his Cabinet and close advisers team, relying on many of the same Washington insiders and big-money banking types he scorned during his campaign. Whenever I read news relating to the Presidential transition of power, I experience a combination of anxiety and indigestion. For one thing, I can't pretend that on December 19th, the Electoral College is going to flip the victory to Hillary Clinton because she garnered far more of the popular vote than Trump, and that means this is really happening. The final curtain is coming down on the Barack and Uncle Joe Show, Hillary and Bill are heading back to Chappaqua, and Trump is going to name Steve Bannon from Breitbart News as his Chief of Staff. If that doesn't scare you, you must not be a Jew or a person of color or Latino, or a female (especially of childbearing age), or a Muslim, and you get the idea.


As we get inexorably closer to January 20th, I can't help but feel that I am watching a terrible, horrible, no-good play, and even though I paid dearly for the tickets I can't just stand up and leave the theatre.

Hope you like the sliders. I've been playing around with different combinations of the main components. So far the best have been my pastrami reuben sliders and my muffuletta sliders. I think I also made meatball sliders.

No comments:

Post a Comment