Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving - Sweet Potato Soufflé

With Thanksgiving tomorrow, I expect many of you are already up to your elbows in stuffing and mashed potatoes (or lasagna or kasha varnishkes.)

Somehow I have managed to pull together the makings of a Thanksgiving dinner, spreading out my tasks over a number of days. Today it was deviled eggs, and now that they're done, I look forward to putting up my feet, throwing back a couple of much-needed pills, and knitting a lacy square.

I've been steering clear of political discourse these past few days, but I do read the news.  Based on several articles I've seen, I sincerely hope that Hillary Clinton requests a recount. And that's all I'm going to say about that; I'm no good to anybody if my head explodes before I get those Cornish hens into the oven.

Here's a recipe I cobbled together yesterday, starting with my mother's much-loved sweet potato pie - which isn't pie at all. Which is, I suppose, okay since my version is not really a soufflé. But it is good.

Sweet Potato Soufflé

2 - 29 oz. cans Bruce's Yams
2 eggs, separated
1 - 8 oz can crushed pineapple
1 - 15 oz. can S&W Sweet Memory Peaches chunks in light syrup with cinnamon and brown sugar
1 tablespoon Apricot brandy or Peach schnapps
1 stick of butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Drain the yams, pineapple and peaches, reserving the syrups.  Reduce the syrups over medium-high heat until just 2/3 of a cup remains. After the syrups have reduced by half, add the apricot brandy and continue until you have the 2/3 cup.  Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Take off the heat, add the butter and set aside so that the butter melts and the mixture cools.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the yams until they are completely broken down. Add the 2 egg yolks and beat until smooth.  Fold in the pineapple and the room temperature syrup-butter mixture. Taste and reseason if desired.

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks can be formed. Gently fold the egg whites into the yams. Spoon 2/3 of the mixture into a 2 quart glass soufflé dish.


Layer in all of the peaches, then add the remaining yam mixture.


Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour.







No comments:

Post a Comment