Friday, June 10, 2011

He who controls the horse controls the horse

"He who controls the spice controls the universe!"

Geez Louise, who is controlling the spice gas these days, anyway? The price has been so terribly volatile this past year, and usually heading up at an accelerated pace, but lately the whole thing is weirding me out. The prices are going down and that's a good thing - except when they bounced back up by four cents, for just one day, then started to glide back down.

I have to pass four different 7-Elevens on my way to the office, and a fifth one when I drive to the courthouse, so I am something of an expert on the price of gas there.

More from the cruise:

June 1, 2011
"Be one with the horse . . . "



The last time I rode a horse was almost 50 years ago. I was a kid and it was what turned out to be my last summer at Camp Anawana in Monticello, New York. I always liked horseback riding, although I do not care for horse racing nor do I really like horses, and I think "playing the horses" is a really bad idea.



But today's shore excursion was pleasant, despite getting rained upon for a little while - we were walking in a rain forest after all. Shopping in Belize is nothing much (good rum cake sample) and I've given up hope of finding my "First" cologne by Van Cleef & Arpels. I'll just have to go back to Nassau. Funky Nassau.



We continue to follow the Casey Anthony trial. Oy Oy Oy . . .


I hate to say it, but this lovely vacation is more than half over. And I have 2 trials starting next week upon my return.
Reality bites.

June 9, 2011
I keep killing off Doctor Who and Amy, and it is starting to get to me. I rarely play video type games, but this was such a an interesting little app for the iPad and I am such a Fan of Who, I wanted to try it. Sorry to say that the Doctor has "died" so many times due to my careless fingers, that he has used up all of his lives and simply won't be regenerating any further.
I had been craving mushroom and barley soup for several days. I don't think I've made it in over 20 years, although I used to make it with some frequency when we were young and freezing. Now that we are old and toasty, soup didn't happen too often until just a few years ago. Anyway, it was mushroom and barley I was craving, and I made it, and it was grand. Of course I will post the recipe on the other blog. You will love it.

One trial down, one to go, before this wild, wild week is over.

June 10, 2011

"Sittin' here restin' my bones, and that loneliness won't leave me alone, two thousand miles I've roamed just to make this dock parking lot my home . . ."

Wait, that's not right - although I am sitting in the parking lot at my former (and Rob's present) office, under a tree, all the doors and windows in the car open in an attempt to capture whatever errant breeze wanders by. It is lunch time, and I am between witnesses in an all day trial. The UTI continues to plague me despite the liberal consumption of antibiotics, and is making me feel generally run down. I am hopeful that I will be able to head home at the conclusion of today's court hearing, and catch a nap. Or nap with a cat. In my house, it's all the same.

Gas prices were stable for 36 hours, which gave me hope that we might also achieve world peace by next Tuesday, but as I drove around this afternoon, I could see they were starting to destabilize once more. They are in fact still heading downwards, and that is good, but I also hate the feeling that we are being manipulated by Big Business, or the government, or the oil- producing Arab nations, or some combination of all of these, to react with a particular behavior as a result of these penny-per-gallon bones that are being thrown our way. In the meantime, the stock market is headed in the same direction as the gas prices, which is good for the gas prices but very bad for the market.

I am already far enough into my work that my lovely cruise is a distant memory. That's why I am enjoying the opportunity to relive it day-by-day on this blog.

Friday, 5:54 - I am sitting in my favorite spot on my couch; my feet are up and there is a nice cold Black Russian on the end table within easy reach. It was an all day trial and it was intense and it is not finished yet. I am beyond tired. My best boy cat is tucked against my side, and for a brief, inebriated moment, all is well with the world.  My wonderful husband brings me a cup of mushroom and barley soup, perfectly heated, and I savor the flavor.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment