Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Kielbasa and Kraut

I have been making this dish for well over 35 years.  I think I got it from the back of a Hillshire Farms label, tweaked it a bit (come on, you knew I'd say that) and perfected it, at least according to the men in my life.


1 pound kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced into half moons
2 sliced onions
1 - 14.4 oz. cans Bavarian sauerkraut, drained
salt, pepper
caraway seeds
1 cup sour cream
1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Wondra flour (optional)

Place the onions on the bottom of a large deep skillet.  Cover the onions with the sliced kielbasa; cover the skillet and steam over medium-low heat until the onions are soft.  Remove the cover and stir in the sauerkraut, salt, pepper and caraway seeds.  Heat through and take off the heat.

Just before serving, mix the mayonnaise with the sour cream to make a smooth sauce.  Over low heat, stirring, add the sauce slowly to the kielbasa.   Add more pepper if necessary.


I usually serve this with buttered egg noodles, but since I've learned the ways of spaetzle making, I think that would be a splendid side dish offering.  This is also good with a side of potato pierogen.  I always use frozen, but would love to try making my own.  Maybe someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment