Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Fired Up - Stone Soup


All the trees are green, and the sky is blue. I have a magnolia blossom and an okra blossom too! That's the good news. My doctor listened to me (she always does) and changed my medication.  That's also good news. The bad news is that I am getting fired on Wednesday. Terminated.  Separated.  Put out to pasture. Sigh. It was inevitable, in fact it has to happen in order for me to move forward with what is left of my life, but it is sad, nonetheless.  


All I really want is a quart of soup and a good reason not to have to go out to Publix. I've already been out today. I have to go out again tomorrow. Doctors, etcetera etcetera and so forth. Shall we dance?Did Yul Brynner live in vain? Two paragraphs in and you've got two ear worms for the price of one.You're welcome.


I don't have split peas in the pantry (my first choice). But I do have carrots and celery and a neck bone, and maybe a way to use up that can of Progresso Lentil Soup I bought in a moment of weakness.  Or maybe it was madness.


1 or 2 small pieces smoked pork neck bone
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 large celery stalk, chopped
1 hot pepper (I used Scotch bonnet), halved and seeded (totally optional or remove early)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Knorr chicken bouillon cubes
1 full sprig fresh thyme
1--14.5 oz. can Hunt's diced tomatoes, including the liquid
1-19 oz. can Progresso lentil soup
kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
1 small sprig each fresh rosemary and fresh basil
a dash of sugar
1-32 oz. container Progresso Tuscany Broth


Add the ingredients to a crockpot, in the order given.  Cover, set on Low and cook for 4 hours. Increase heat to High and add a 15.5 oz. can undrained Goya pinto beans and a 15 oz. bag of frozen vegetable soup mix, defrosted in a colander, under warm water,

Hmm, what else can I add to the soup?

Oy vey, this is turning into Stone Soup, and I have no guarantee that I won't pour it down the drain when it is done, assuming it ever gets done.    


Hour Six: I add a piece of Parmesan rind, some Emeril's Essence, dried thyme, granulated garlic, a pinch more of sugar, and a cut-up okra pod I just snagged from my garden.  What else can I add to the soup?


Hour Seven: I threw in a half cup of ditalini pasta.  Another half hour and ta-da, for better or worse.

Would you believe ... delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment