Sunday, August 2, 2015

Mexican Rhapsody - Pan de Mico (Monkey Bread)


Good morning, Kissimmee!  If you've been circling around looking for parking near the courthouse, yes, I am the little old lady sitting next to the garden trying to pull weeds.  Not so easy today, as I hurt like mad, and can't imagine squatting beside the blueberry bushes so as to reach those stubborn weedlings.  My grand and glorious gardening project has come to a halt.



With the pain comes depression, as I am sure many of you know. Wherever I was yesterday, I'm somewhere else today.  Hell, perhaps.

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.

Oh, mama mia, mama mia (Mama mia, let me go.)
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me.


Admit it, you've ALL had this ear worm at least once, and I've had it more times than I can count ... so now I declare Bohemian Rhapsody to be the Official Ear Worm of this blog!



I'm waiting to see which devil Beelzebub has put aside for me ... or perhaps I've already met him or her?  Bwah ha ha, yeah, that must be it.

I'm also trying to keep my brain active, so I've gone back to playing Words With Friends, but limited it to two worthy and understanding opponents - my husband, Patient Robert, and the Redoubtable Feldman of the North.  When my brain works, I can handle 20 games, but my brain just up and quit on me, damn it.  Two games is a big deal, folks. 

Since yesterday, I've been wanting normal food.  Well actually, wanting to cook normal food.  Chicken, chops, steak - the dinners of my misspent youth.  Mom Food.  Broiled chicken. Broiled Steak. Broiled lamb chops.  You get the idea.

But what I've got for you today is anything but normal, and definitely not broiled.


Playing with my food ...

2-4 oz. links La Banderita brand chorizo fino
1-4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
2-16.3 oz. tubes Grands! Homestyle Buttermilk biscuits, quartered
1 stick butter
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup cotija cheese (sort of a Mexican Parmesan), plus more for the pan.

Season to taste:
kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, granulated garlic, dried cilantro leaves


Remove the chorizo from the casings, and brown in a heavy skillet.  It will fall apart and render quite a bit of fat.  Scoop the cooked chorizo out of the skillet, and onto a paper towel-lined plate to cool and drain.


Cut the butter into 4 pieces, and place them into a Bundt or similar round baking pan.  Place in the oven while preheating to 350 degrees.  When the butter is melted, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.


Carefully tip the Bundt pan so that the butter coats the sides.  Pour off the rest of the butter and set aside.  Sprinkle cotija cheese on the inside of the buttered pan and set aside.

In a very large bowl:

half of the biscuit quarters
half the remaining cooled, melted butter
seasoning to taste
half the chilies
half the chorizo
1 cup of the mozzarella
1/2 cup of the cotija

With a spatula, gently mix the biscuit pieces so that they are coated with the other ingredients, and turn them into the prepared pan.  Repeat with the remaining ingredients.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the biscuits are baked all the way through to the middle.  

Serve it immediately, with sour cream, salsa and/or any other favorite Tex-Mex sauces.  When it's fresh out of the oven, you pull the individual pieces with your fingers.  After that, you may prefer to slice it. Toast it. Throw a fried egg on it. Whatever.  It's good.


No comments:

Post a Comment