Saturday, January 16, 2016

I Sure Do Love You My Escargot - Andouille and Mixed Greens with Creamy Dijon Sauce

Good morning and ouch. Here we go again. I am in pain. Nu? Having taken my tai chi class and completed a rather speedy food shopping episode, I am home, in my corner of the living room, considering a nap.

Can't do this now - pain is overriding everything. Later.

And later -

I brought all my play things downstairs - my knitting, my coloring book and colored pencils, iPad and iPhone, which is full of fun game apps. And what did I do? Well, after a handful of Advil, half a handful of Zantac, and some very flat diet ginger ale, I went out to pick tomatoes for salad, and realized I was going to have to Do Something with those greens that had somehow survived a less than spectacular growing season.


I started cutting mustard greens, gorgeous collards, and even snagged a bunch of turnip greens with a cute little turnip root attached. After digging through my freezer and checking the internet for a creamy Dijon sauce, I put together this dish which is, may I say, quite tasty.


The sauce recipe is (mostly) from Emeril, so you KNOW it's good. The greens are all from my garden, so young and tender that I used all of the leaf and stem. I don't get to say this often, but I'm happy.

Andouille and Mixed Greens with Creamy Dijon Sauce

1 tablespoon each butter and bacon fat
about 12 cups mixed cut greens (collard, mustard, turnip)
1 large onion, chopped
Kosher salt
ground black pepper
smoked paprika
crushed red pepper
1 - 14 oz. package Johnsonville andouille smoked sausage (mine was frozen)
1/2 cup chicken stock
(1 small turnip root, peeled and chopped)

1 - 10 1/2 oz can Campbell's chicken broth
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon whole grain Dijon mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
Kosher salt and ground black pepper


In a large covered skillet, melt the butter and bacon fat together over medium high heat.  Add the greens, onion, and seasonings. Stir to separate the greens. Cook until the onion starts to soften.  Add the sausage and cook for a few minutes each side.  Add the chicken stock (and the chopped turnip), cover the skillet, and lower the heat to medium low. Cook for 30 minutes.

Remove the andouille and set aside to cool slightly. Raise the heat to medium high and cook the skillet contents so that most of the excess liquid evaporates. Set aside. When cool enough to handle, slice the sausages on an angle, 4 to 5 slices from each sausage.


In a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth and the mustards. Bring to a boil and cook on medium high for 12 minutes, until the sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup.  Take the saucepan off the heat and slowly stir in the cream while whisking.  Put the saucepan back on medium high heat, bring the sauce to a boil and cook another 2 minutes. Whisk in the butter until completely melted, and remove the saucepan from the heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, but only after you taste it - I found the sauce to be plenty salty on its own from the canned chicken broth. I did add pepper.

Combine the sliced andouille with the cooked greens and then add the sauce. Stir to combine, and either serve from the skillet or move to a casserole dish. Pick your side dish and enjoy.


I'm so tired I could scream, but before I send this off to the publisher I want to show you who made an appearance as I was sorting and washing my mustard greens:


Isn't he cute? I took a whole bunch of photos




and then returned him, still on his mustard green leaf, to the garden. Run wild, run free, my little escargot!

No comments:

Post a Comment