Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Meme, The Meme's The Thing ...

... wherein we'll catch the conscience of the King. Or the Queen, eh?


Yes, indeed. 

Fellow Whovians, remember this scene? The Dalek begs for mercy from a well-armed River Song, relying on the universal knowledge that the Doctor's companions are, like the Doctor, merciful in their treatment of their enemies.  Well, except for the War Doctor. But that's another story.


Yes, I remember what Rose did to all of the Daleks in "Parting of the Ways" but that was really Bad Wolf, right? And l haven't forgotten the most unmerciful Captain Jack Harkness during his tenure at Torchwood. So maybe this Dalek was misinformed, which is why River Song tells him to check his records just before she blows him up through his eyestalk. 

You go, girl! River Song, that badass woman - that's who I'm feeling like just now, at least regarding my capacity for mercy. I know I should feel bad about not feeling bad over someone else's problems, but there's a karma thing going on here as well, and I just need a moment or two to savor the knowledge. After all, I'm only human.

Being human and afflicted with the Evil Fibromyalgia, I am huddled inside my poorly-insulated circa 1925 house, enjoying a day without excruciating pain (meaning I'm a five instead of a ten) but with a heightened sensitivity to cold. I have tai chi class tonight which is A Good Thing, but that also means I have to leave the house. I hope I don't freeze to death.

Ahhhh, it was chilly but worth it. I love my tai chi classes, even though I am struggling to remember forms (I think I sang the same song when I was taking tae kwan do). They do help me to relax physically and mentally (which is something tae kwan do never did). In some way, tai chi helps me to remember who I really am, an ability that fibromyalgia tries to steal away, as if the pain wasn't bad enough.

I did not watch the President's State of the Union Address. Actually, I haven't watched any of them, or those of George W. Bush. I'm not sure I watched any of Clinton's, but I might have caught 1 or 2 during his 8 years. Reagan? Sure, a few of them.  Carter?  No way. Nixon? Probably, I always had a soft spot in my heart for Richard Nixon.

Why do I, sarcastic political watcher that I am, avoid the SOTU address regardless of who is occupying  the Oval Office? Because of Rule Number One:



The Doctor lies. And so does the President.

No comments:

Post a Comment