Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lovely Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Frosting

Happy day after a long weekend!  Faced with a tough morning, and a tougher week, I am charging ahead with a Positive Mental Attitude.  Looking forward to the challenges!  Excited about the day!  Fear is not an option!   The early bird gets the worm, or at least the court files.  Charge!

Alrighty then, once I have some coffee, I'm sure I can pull this off.  Yes.  Right.  Ummm ... I'll let you know how this works out.  First, coffee.  Second, a recipe to try.

I am beginning to wonder if adding the pudding mix to cake mix is such a good idea.  Almost all cake mixes have pudding in the mix, and actually have for over 20 years.  This recipe bakes up a lovely lemon cupcake with a nice even crumb to it, and it was really plenty rich without the pudding.


I made these for Robert, because almost all of my other cupcake experiments have involved chocolate and even coffee.  The least I can do for the man who is still the Best Husband in the World.

Lovely Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Frosting

1 - 18.25 oz. package yellow cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
1 package lemon gelatin
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup hot water
4 extra large eggs

1 - 2 jars Dickinson's Lemon Curd
2 - 16 oz. tubs lemon frosting


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Set up two 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners.  Place the cake mix, gelatin, oil, water and eggs in a large bowl.  Beat to combine for about a minute, scrape down the sides, then beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer.  Portion the batter evenly, then bake for 18 to 22 minutes.  Cool the cupcakes in the tins for about 15 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.



It was as this point I threw the cupcakes into the freezer, because I wasn't feeling up to filling and frosting.  It's not necessary to the success of the recipe, but I would recommend holding off the filling part until the next day.  You want the cake to be totally firm and set.


Now, using a small sharp knife or the large end of a metal piping tip, remove part of the cake from the middle.  Pipe some lemon curd into each cupcake.


Stir the frosting till smooth and use to finish off the cupcakes.  Gorgeous and delicious.





No comments:

Post a Comment