Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ack! - Sloppy Jo Comes Home

"Ack" indeed.  Well, that's how I'm feeling this morning - like a "skinny, half-dead Garfield" - and if you don't know who Bill the Cat is, you are too young to be reading this blog.


I made the biscuits this morning, doubling the recipe.  Don't double the recipe; it will be difficult to work with it, although still delicious. Here is the original recipe from the November 21, 2014 blog post and I really encourage you to try it because these biscuits are so good, I want to eat the entire pan.  With one egg.  One medium egg.

This morning's batch of biscuit

I wish that my medication was somehow more efficacious, I really do.  I know that the doctor has told me that only time will bring the desired result, but it seems that I have been waiting forever for something resembling stabilization.  For now my hands shake and my mood swings more than Benny Goodman's band.  After the last five days, Josephine the Plumber has risen to the top of my hit list, right behind Jim the Tech from Bright House Networks. (Relax, these are both imaginary characters.) My Internet connection is for shit, while pots and pans are piling up on the kitchen counter.  This isn't helping my mood, which is no longer swinging but stuck on uber-cranky.

Serve the Sloppy Jo with biscuits, or corn bread, or mac & cheese, or rice,

I also made the Sloppy Josephine - this version being a Spicy, Sexy, Schmaltzy Josephine - and it turn out quite tasty. I recommend serving this on a Sprightly Biscuit, or with some good old fashioned long grain white rice.  Rice is nice, but biscuits are better.  Ack! Alliteration!

He wanted my flip-flops, I gave them to him

Anakin is acting weirder than usual - he was trying to steal my flip-flop right off my foot.  He has a terrible wound on his tail, a good 5 inches along the tail's length.  As best we can tell, and I agree with Robert, his tail got burned while he was sashaying across the cooktop.

He wanted my seat, so I let him have it

It has been healing; today, however, a long scab came free, and he is showing some raw skin which has to be painful.  I found the scab, which was furry on one side (gulp) and I saw the redness which may have involved some surface bleeding.  My poor Ani.

He played the cute card with me, and he won

So I cried for him, and gave him my flip-flops for a while.  Then he decided he wanted to sit in the seat I happened to be using, so I moved.  He seems to be quite comfortable now, and not in pain from his wound.  Me, well I'm comfortable in an alternate seat, but I am always in pain. Damn, spit, and dirty socks.


Time to make friends with Sloppy Josephine.  She's cheap, easy, and no jokes, thank you very much.

1 to 1 1/4 pound ground beef (market beef or ground round)
1 large red bell pepper, large chop
1 large green bell, large chop
(Optional: jalapeno and/or red hot chile pepper)
1 very large onion, chopped
4 or more large garlic cloves, chopped
1 - 14.5 oz. Green Giant corn niblets, drained
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 - 15 oz. can light red kidney beans, drained
1 large (about 28 oz.) can Sloppy Joe or Manwich sauce

My spice blend, to taste
Dried oregano, to taste
Sugar
Cayenne pepper, optional
                                 
1/4 cup oil for cooking


Heat about a tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat and add the beef.  Break up the beef while cooking, with a pastry blender (this works so well).  At the end of cooking, stir in the dried oregano and remove from the heat. Remove the cooked beef to a plate or aluminum pan; use a slotted spoon, and then discard any grease in the pan.  Set aside the beef.  Add the remaining oil to the pan, and heat over a medium-high setting.  Add the bell peppers (and spicy peppers, if using) and onion.  Season with the spice blend, sugar, and cayenne.  SautĂ© the vegetables until softened.  Add the chopped garlic and continue cooking until the onion starts to caramelize.


Add the cooked beef and stir. Add the the drained beans and corn; stir and adjust seasonings.  Add the Sloppy Joe or Manwich sauce, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.  And enjoy enjoy enjoy!  This is hearty and wholesome and just plain good.

No comments:

Post a Comment