Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I Ain't Gonna Live Forever - Crab Fried Rice



I realize you may be tired of hearing me crab, but it's my life ...

It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just wanna live while I'm alive
It's my life
Yep, it's my life and it hurts most of the time.  I got a card from the office peeps, and while they all professed to miss me, it seems what they really miss is my cooking. I guess that's an okay reason to be missed.  Actually, some missed "my smile, my funny stories, and my kind and funny spirit."  It was a lovely card and I really do appreciate it.



This morning the media advised that for the first time since May 2013, the President had a 50% approval rating.  I count myself among the 47% who disapprove of the way the President handles damn near everything. I should tell you that the last time I approved of any president was August 16, 1998, the day before Bill Clinton admitted to inappropriate behavior with Monica Lewinsky.  



Hillary got over it and so did I.  It was none of my business anyway.  Which is why I loathe Ken Starr, a disgusting little prick who obsessed over personal matters that should have remained outside his purview.  I had an opportunity to shake hands with the little prick back in 2003, at the Supreme Court, of all places, and I literally backed away and turned my back on him. At which time I snagged a photo with one of my idols (yes, you have seen it before, but I love it).


The Florida Fat Lady, the Notorious R.B.G., and the Karate Kid

I was able to cook today (happy dance) and after a trip to the Chinese take-out, I was able to eat dinner.  Breakfast and lunch, not so much. Eating remains a huge problem - ironic when you look at the photo.  With all the tests and procedures and anguish I've gone through over the last 4 months, the medical profession has no frakking answer to my problem.  I thought after I took the new medication for a couple of weeks I was experiencing an increase in appetite and ability to retain food, and I actually gained 2 pounds.  Didn't last, damn it.


What I wanted from the Chinese take-out was egg drop soup, no wontons.  Bonus was an order of shrimp toast.  No fried rice, because, well that's what I cooked.  Unfortunately I can't eat the fried rice (or almost anything I cook), as most solid foods get stuck and cause me real pain.


The idea for the crab fried rice came from a meal we enjoyed at Bonefish Grill several weeks ago.  Robert ordered their crab fried rice as a side dish, which I tasted. We both agreed the fried rice was awesome, and I resolved to recreate it at home.  I researched the actual recipe online, which gave me a general idea of what was in there.  Then I went through my collection of fried rice recipes (not kidding) and put together two recipes, and here it is:



Crab Fried Rice

1 large container leftover white rice (from Chinese takeout; chill in refrigerator overnight)3 tablespoons canola oil
1 scallion, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 very large clove of garlic, thinly sliced
1 egg, whisked 
6 - 8 oz. lump crabmeat
1/3 cup each color (red, yellow, green) bell peppers, chopped
2/3 cup frozen peas and carrots (carrots are cut square)
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil



In a nonstick wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil.  Add the beaten egg and spread thinly across the bottom and up the sides.  Cook for a minute until the egg is set.  Remove the cooked egg to a cutting board or plate, and use kitchen scissors to cut it into small pieces.


Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the wok.  Add the scallions, garlic, bell peppers, peas and carrots.  Stir fry for about 2 minutes until the scallion and garlic are aromatic, and the peas and carrots are mostly defrosted.  

The rice should be at room temperature.  I put the rice in a 1 gallon plastic storage bag before refrigerating it, and I use my hands to break up any clumps.  Pour the rice into the wok, and stir fry for a minute.  Add the dark soy sauce and the sesame oil, and stir fry constantly until the rice starts to take on color.  Finally add the crab meat and the cooked egg and stir fry just to let the crab warm through.

This fried rice is delicious without the crab meat.  Next time I make Chinese roast pork, I am going to  save some to throw into this rice.  Or substitute shrimp or chicken or snow crab meat.  I was also thinking of adding 1/3 cup frozen corn kernels.  Variations are endless.    


No comments:

Post a Comment