Monday, July 6, 2015

Cola-Q Convection Ribs


I've already lost 2 of the 3 pounds I gained and yeah, I'm annoyed.  Yesterday was such an awful day for eating, I wanted to scream but my throat was raw. And the frakking medication is NOT working.  NOT WORKING.  Which means I am always in a bad mood, except when I'm in an okay mood, except when I'm having a frakking panic attack. 


The good news is that those St. Louis-style ribs are all cooked and ready to eat; the bad news is that I can't eat them, now not, not ever.  However, that should not stop you from trying the recipe, enjoying the dish, and spreading the love.


You know how when you watch Guy Fieri visit all those different diners, drive-ins, and dives, the folks who are eating there always explain their love of the food with the phrase "it tastes like home"? Well, these ribs taste like home, or they would if I used my mother's homemade maple barbecue sauce.  Still, oven-roasted ribs with any sauce remind me of growing up and eating real good.  I've also smoked ribs, and those are awesome, but I love these the best.


Another thing that is different from my parent's home is my spiffy convection oven.  I must admit the ribs came out even better.  Epic success.  If I wasn't so frakking miserable I'd be happy.

Smear some of the honey mustard on both sides of each rack

Now, if you have the knife skills, I recommend you remove the membrane that runs across the back of the ribs.  You want to use a really sharp boning knife to start to separate the membrane from the bones, and then use a paper towel to grab the membrane and start pulling.  Repeat until you remove most, if not all, of the membrane.

Sprinkle the back sides with some light brown sugar

Cola-Q Convection Ribs

2 racks St. Louis-style pork spareribs (each rack has around 12 ribs)
1 bottle Ken's Steakhouse Honey Mustard
light brown sugar
Steven Raichlen's Basic BBQ Spice Rub or another spice blend, commercial or homemade
1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Cola-Q BBQ sauce

After the brown sugar, generously sprinkle on the spice rub

I use a very large aluminum pan, the type you use for holding hot water in a chafing dish set-up.  Both racks of ribs will fit with the outsides tilted upward.  Once the backs have been sprinkled with sugar and spice rub, turn the racks meat side up and repeat the brown sugar and spice rub.


Preheat a convection oven on 350 degrees (I set 350, and the oven sets itself for 325 degrees).  Roast for one hour, turning the pan front to back halfway through.  Lower the oven temperature to 300 (oven will set itself for 275).  Apply the barbecue sauce lavishly all over the top of the ribs, then cover the pan with aluminum foil and return to the oven for another hour. Cook a little longer or until the meat is very tender.


To finish the ribs, brush on any barbecue sauce left in the bottle and place uncovered in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.  To serve, cut the racks into two-rib pieces.




Maple Barbecue Sauce

2/3 cup Log Cabin Original maple flavored syrup
3 to 4 tablespoons Heinz ketchup
2 tablespoons French's yellow mustard
2 scant tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
a few drops Tabasco sauce, optional
kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Place all the ingredients into a screw top container.  Shake well to combine.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight before using.  Always shake the container before using the sauce.

Don't bother trying this with real maple syrup, it doesn't work.  It's got to be the maple flavored syrup and it's got to be Log Cabin.  Also, don't put this in a blender nor use beaters or a whisk to combine.  That will cause the mixture to emulsify, which will turn your nice pourable barbecue sauce into edible sludge.


Steven Raichlen's Basic BBQ Spice Rub

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt or more coarse salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix. (Actually, your hands work better for mixing than a spoon or whisk does. Use your fingers to break up any lump of brown sugar.) Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat or light; it will keep for at least 6 months.

My version of the Sixteen Spice Blend, plus a link to the original recipe from Bobby Flay is here.

Thunder and lightening, very very frightening me ...
            

No comments:

Post a Comment