Tuesday, July 21, 2015

One Giant Step for Mankind - Monday, Bread and Butter

Almost everybody agrees that "Monday, string beans, all you hungry children, we wish the same to you." Probably my favorite ear worm, dating back to the long distant past of my childhood.  I caught it from my kid brother, who brought it home from early elementary school.  There are countless versions, and I know I've blogged about this before, but I just found this online and almost plotzed - finally, all of the correct words in the correct order, proving that Monday is bread and butter,  not string beans. Guess what I'm eating for breakfast?


Today is Monday,
Today is Monday,
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Tuesday,
Today is Tuesday,
Tuesday string beans
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Wednesday,
Today is Wednesday,
Wednesday soup
Tuesday string beans
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Thursday,
Today is Thursday,
Thursday roast beef
Wednesday soup
Tuesday string beans

Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Friday,
Today is Friday,
Friday fish
Thursday roast beef
Wednesday soup
Tuesday string beans
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Saturday,
Today is Saturday,
Saturday payday
Friday fish
Thursday roast beef

Wednesday soup
Tuesday string beans
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Today is Sunday,
Today is Sunday,
Sunday church
Saturday payday
Friday fish
Thursday roast beef
Wednesday soup
Tuesday string beans
Monday bread and butter
All you hungry children,
I wish the same to you.

Needless to say, this version predated Madalyn Murray O'Hair and her pernicious influence on the American public school system.

Because today is Monday I'm having an early morning panic attack and not liking it at all.  Too many things going on that merit concern - Rob's appointment with the audiologist, the possibility that all our cast iron pipes are going to have to be replaced, my upcoming employment hearing - big stuff, all of it.

Incipient Eggplant in my garden

Maybe things would feel better if I had picked a different ear worm.  Or maybe not ... the second verse sums things up splendidly.

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh, Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening, you would still be here with me

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
Monday, Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh, Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh, Monday, Monday, how could you leave and not take me?
I hate Mondays, I really do, damn it.  I am trying to stop the brain fog rolling in and have gotten way off track. This is just supposed to be about bread and butter, and God willing (did you see that, Madalyn?) a rerun of the recipe for Sprightly Southern Biscuits to go with some Sloppy Josephine.  Right now, waiting for the appearance of Son of Josephine the Plumber, I hesitate to start any projects in the kitchen.


Yesterday's chameleon, today's parking lot attendant

I should have never mentioned Madalyn Murray O'Hair on a Monday. My blood is starting to boil, or at least maintaining a steady simmer. Atheists annoy me because they have no respect for non-atheists. If they don't believe in God, so be it.  Don't mock me because I believe in the God of our Fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and of our Mothers, Sarah, Rebecca, Leah and Rachel.  Don't insult me because I was raised to show respect to those who believe differently than me.  Don't pervert the First Amendment so that even a Moment of Silence is forbidden in most classrooms.



Enough.  I have to stop.  I'm supposed to be sweeping the negativity out of my life, but I just allowed it to blow right back in.  Feh. So there will be no mention of Donald Trump, John Mc Cain, nuclear anything, shark attacks, or Bill Cosby.  I will mention that 46 years ago today Neil Armstrong made history when he made that "one small step" on the Lunar surface, but I will stop myself from ranting about the death of our space exploration program.  Stop.  Now.

As it turned out, Son of Josephine did not make it, and probably won't be here before Wednesday.  I did not bake biscuits or prepare the Spicy Josephine - yeah, I've tweaked the recipe a bit, at least in my head - but I did move forward another step in the state disability process, and began work on Social Security.  That's gonna be a whole lotta other blog posts, another time.



The best news I've had all day is that Doctor Who returns to BBC on September 19, 2015.  Something to look forward to besides retirement, old age, and fibromyalgia.                                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment