Thursday, December 31, 2015

In the Weeds - Blueberry Bark



Oh my poor garden!  Another victim of fibromyalgia - MY fibromyalgia, that is, which put me practically in a state of suspended animation for most of this past month. The peppers and strawberries did not get watered or sprayed for aphids, a bunch of vegetables never got planted, and those that did get planted are being choked to death by an incredible variety of weeds.  


Over the past 3 days I did manage to water the surviving peppers, making many trips with the small watering can because I can't carry the large one once it is filled. I also made up a bottle of aphid tonic and sprayed like a madwoman, but the aphids have had a free ride for quite a while and are not anxious to leave their leafy homes.


I pulled a few weeds, which sent me reeling back into the house for a handful of Advil and an air conditioned nap. If I limit myself to 10 minutes a day, I can have those weeds pulled in time for Passover, or put another way, after the end of Tax Season. Damn fibromyalgia.


Inasmuch as this is the last day of the year, I took a few moments while dry shampooing my hair (no energy to step into the shower) to become philosophical. This year, 2015, was a Very Bad Year for me, although there have been others - 1960, 1972, 1975, 1983, 1984, 1990, 1997, 2001, and 2013 - which have been Pretty Damn Awful for a variety of reasons. I suppose there is a pretty basic lesson in that factual recitation, and I will live through this as I have before, except this time I have no real hope of ever improving my health. And no, I don't see medical marijuana in my future.

I found these little guys in one of the vegetable beds. You can learn a lot about life from snails, by the way. Like moving slowly is not necessarily a bad thing. That reminds me of a coffee mug from years back:


"Slow and steady our love does grow; I sure do love you, my escargot."


Happy New Year, everyone.


Blueberry Bark

1 pound white candy coating
1 cup Fruit Loops, plus more for topping
1 cup Rice Crispies, plus more for topping
1 cup miniature pastel marshmallows, plus more for topping
1/2 cup dried blueberries (Mariani brand)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet (one with 4 sides) with aluminum foil, and then parchment paper.

Put the whole block of candy coating in an aluminum baking pan, and place in the preheated oven. After 5 minutes, turn off the heat but leave the pan in the oven just until the block of candy coating appears soft and melty, barely holding together.  Remove the pan from the oven, and with a plastic spatula, stir the candy coating until smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients (except the toppings) and stir until they are fully incorporated into the candy coating.  Pour this onto the parchment paper and use the spatula to smooth it out into a reasonably even layer. You will not be filling up the entire baking sheet. Now sprinkle some of each topping on the bark and press down gently. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until the bark is cooled and firm.


When the bark is ready. remove from the fridge and cut or break up into smaller pieces. Store in the refrigerator. Offer for nibbling with hot tea or coffee. And smile, you're eating Fruit Loops.

No comments:

Post a Comment