Thursday, December 3, 2015

Wednesday, wherein we address the question, do retired people have Hump Days?

When I was a Working Woman, Wednesday was Hump Day (as in Over the ...) but as a Retired Person, it is just plain old Wednesday.  Well, that's not entirely true ... it is also the day I meet with my therapist. Maybe I should call it the Sacred Day for Seeking Sanity. The day will come when I no longer need to meet with my therapist, but that is also likely to be the day before my funeral, so you see how that works.

I am trying to gather myself together for our cruise on Sunday.  The important stuff: passports, boarding passes. comfortable shoes, one pair of pantyhose and a 2 pound bag of Hershey's milk chocolate nuggets. And books, library books that won't keep me awake like electronic books do when I read at night in bed.  So I visited the library today and damn near got lost in the stacks. I could spend hours checking out all the books.

There's been another shooting in San Bernadino, California. Twelve reported dead. Yes, the world has gone to hell one more time. That number has been increased to 14 dead and 17 wounded. The perpetrators are dead, and some questions will never be answered.

It is almost as if a mass insanity has gripped our country.  I realize that we all want to find somebody or something to blame, but damned if I can figure it out. All I know is that, anecdotally speaking, the events of September 11, 2001 did something to us that changed the US forever. Pushed us into an alternate dimension, perhaps.  I am certainly old enough to remember the civil disruptions that accompanied the Vietnam War, the assassinations of President Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy, the start of the Gulf Wars in 1990. Maybe our country has been going crazy for a very long time.  Total societal collapse.  Wasn't Armageddon supposed to occur around the turn of the century?  Maybe it already has.


My fibromyalgia has been attacking my sleep patterns these last few weeks. Insomnia, with pain followed by oversleeping, stealing most of my daylight hours. The only thing that is constant is the pain in my back. My cookie-baking, like my knitting and coloring, has been slowed down to a crawl.


I haven't even been good about getting you the recipes for the cookies I have managed to bake.  Here is the link for the Butter Cookies recipe, and let me reiterate that if you bake only one cookie in your entire lifetime, it should be this one.   The other recipes have been primarily from Camilla Saulsbury's cookie book, so at this point I am going to strongly recommend that you buy one or all of her cookie books.  They are well worth the small investment.

My plan for Thursday is to bake Pistachio Jam cookies, and that recipe comes from another wonderful book, named appropriately The Joy of Cookies, by Sharon Tyler Herbst. This appears to also be out-of-print, although available used on Amazon. Very well worth to hunt it down. Incidentally, I have purchased used cookbooks through Amazon on a number of occasions, and have never been disappointed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment