Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Last Night I Didn't Get To Sleep At All - Hot German Potato Salad

Monday, Day 9 - I don't know why yesterday's blog post was so difficult to finish, but it was.  Perhaps there was a touch of the brain fuzzies or those bursts of ADD that cause me to keep jumping up from the couch in search of a chicken.  Or it could be the realization I have deadlines set for next week, and I never do well with deadlines.  They make me angry, and that makes me jumpy, then I am rendered practically useless, and then I can't sleep.

So I didn't sleep, and now I'm up at my normal time, as if for work, and I already know I am going to have to break down and make a phone call to the nice lady in Human Resources, because I received two different packets of forms and instructions, and I am confused.  The problem is that I hate making phone calls, but that can no longer be avoided.  Email is not going to get the job done.

I need another cup of coffee.  Or a nap.

Can somebody please tell me what is the deal with AvMed's web page? Why can't I easily access a list of providers?  (Insert sounds of growling here.)

Today turned out to be wildly successful, despite my fuzzy start.  I made a phone call, I figured out what to do about the ADA and FMLA paperwork, and I did it.  Only took me two weeks to gather up the physical, mental and emotional strength to face some forms.  I'm a mess, I admit it.  But today I conquered my ennui and plodded through to the end.  I even dropped certain paperwork off at my PCP's office.

And now we wait for others to make decisions for me and about me.  I hate this loss of control.  But I'm not dwelling on it, not today.

I also took a walk, while pushing Chelsea in Athene's stroller.  I'm sure my sweet Teena won't mind. We walked around the neighborhood, looking at some of the older houses, while I provided running commentary when I had the knowledge.  I also promised Woody that he could have the next ride.  I really want to incorporate a walk into my daily routine, but I'm not going to lie - my back hurt and I was really tired.  I really envy my friends and relatives who are able to run marathons; I just don't know how they do it.  I miss having that sort of energy, and being able to push myself physically without paying for it the day after.  I suppose I should be grateful that I can walk (and I love it) and that I can still swallow two Advil after I'm done.

I do have a recipe for today, and that would be the hot German potato salad I prepared yesterday to go with the Chinese Roast Pork.  My kitchen is more effective in establishing positive foreign relations than Henry Kissinger.  My mother-in-law made this many times when we still had a fairly large family, and would all get together for birthdays and holidays.  It is extremely easy to prepare, and a great potato salad alternative for anyone who doesn't like mayonnaise. Hard to believe someone might not like a mayonnaise-based salad, but that's what happens when you don't use Hellman's.


2 pounds petite red potatoes
1/2  pound bacon (7-8 slices) chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
kosher salt
coarse ground black pepper

Place the whole potatoes in a 5 quart sauce pot; add just enough water to cover.  Add a good amount of salt to the water.  Put the lid on the pot; bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to medium-high so that the water still boils, but the steam doesn't knock the lid askew.  Cook around 20 minutes, or just until the potatoes are done.  Carefully drain off the hot water, leaving the potatoes in the pot to dry out.  When they are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or sixths if potato is a bit larger.                                                                                                                                             In a large deep skillet, cook the bacon until almost crisp, then use a slotted spoon to remove it to a plate.  Add the chopped onion to the bacon fat and cook until translucent.  Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.  Return the bacon to the skillet along with any bacon fat on the plate.  Lower the heat to medium-low and carefully add the potatoes to the pan.  Stir gently so that the potatoes are thoroughly coated.  Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment