Thursday, March 12, 2015

Uptight, Out of Sight - Beef Empanadas, Part 2


Wednesday, Day 6 - Did not sleep most of last night.  Insane itching takes its toll.  I am as crabby as Baltimore with none of the charm.  Instead of relaxing, this time out of the office is making me feel like an old Stevie Wonder song.  I still have a bunch of medical appointments coming up and there is no comfort in that.  Who knows what they will find?  Or not find? How long will I need to be on leave? Will I ever be able to go back to work? What if I can't go back?

Okay, enough of this spit.  Things could be a lot worse.  I could live and work in Ferguson, Missouri for instance, instead of within easy driving distance of The Happiest Place on Earth.

I could be undergoing chemotherapy, like too many of my friends are having to do.

Very bad news this morning out of Eglin Air Force Base, in the Florida Panhandle, where 11 Marines were killed in a helicopter crash.  Yesterday, more terrible news created by ISIS, yet another beheading, where the knife-wielding militant was a child.  There's something to put on his resume.

And it's a good thing I'm not running for President, because like Hillary, I delete personal emails.  Hello, who doesn't?  If you don't periodically delete emails, you get a nastygram from your carrier, and no one can get hold of you and you end up missing a lot of important messages.

I could be a Republican.  Or I could be a Democrat.  Either way, it's bad news.


Despite a slow start, there was some good news today.  I finished the beef empanadas, and according to my husband, they are "the best."   I also gave Chelsea that bath she so badly needed.  A nice, long soak in warm, medicated suds; conditioning for her hair, and I trimmed her bangs; and a blow dry which left her looking pretty, if I say so myself.

Beef Empanadas, Part 2

When last we met to cook, we had finished preparing the filling for the empanadas.  I then refrigerated the filling for two days, but an overnight would also work to let the flavors fully develop, and the temperature and texture come together for easy scooping.


This will fill 14 discs. Each package of Goya Discos has 10 pastry discs. So you can have leftover filling or leftover discs. This time I voted for leftover filling, which will not go to waste.  Next time I may opt for leftover discs, and then will fill them with apple pie filling or leftover mashed potatoes and fried onions.  You get the idea.

So to finish this recipe, you will need:
1 - 14 oz. package frozen Goya Discos (white, not yellow), defrosted
Wondra flour
canola oil, for frying

Place each disc on wax paper that has been lightly sprinkled with Wondra flour in the center of the paper.

Sprinkle a light dusting of Wondra over the disc, and then place the second piece of wax paper on top of that.

Gently roll the disc out so that it is slightly larger and pliable.


Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of the disc. Use your finger, dipped in a small dish of water, to dampen the edge of the bottom half of the disc. Fold the top half over the filling so that the edges of the disc meet neatly, and with a small amount of pressure seal the edges shut.  Use the tines of a fork to press down around the entire edge, sealing the empanada.


Heat about an inch of oil in a large skillet and fry the empanadas in batches, until golden brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels and drain the empanadas.


We ate these "as is" but ideally there would be sour cream and homemade guacamole and maybe salsa, and a side of refried beans "with everything", another on my list of recipes to be tried.  Corn and black bean salad?  With jicama.  Working on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment