Sunday, February 8, 2015

I Found My Thrill - Monticello Blueberry Muffins


Today - If somebody can explain to me how having a five pound bag of bread flour hit me in the head is a positive thing, now would be a good time.

Sounds of elevator music:


Picture of clock showing time ticking away:


Uh huh, I thought so.  Hearing no takers, let's just move on to me in bitching mode.

Yesterday - a Friday, it was for those who are interested in such things - was particularly horrible.  Waking up to aches, pains, and a black depression.  Somehow I dragged myself into the office, just a trifle late, trifle being a relative term.  What followed was rapid-cycling CPS (chronic pain syndrome)   which left me exhausted - passing out and can't get up from the couch exhausted.  Too tired to get out of the car exhausted.  My mood ran from laughing at Facebook while eating a Whopper with cheese no lettuce (I finally gave in) to wanting to hang my head out the window and throw up.  No fast food jokes, folks.  That Whopper was GOOD.  There were times I could zoom around and get a lot of substantive work done,  immediately followed by pain and a deep sense of regret that I could not accomplish more.  I can't control this thing; it controls me.  All I can do is live in the moments it allows me to live.

Because I crashed on the couch, I actually missed seeing the Orlando Magic win in overtime, over the LA Lakers.  I don't like the Lakers, and I don't know why my favorites, the LA Clippers, should have to share an arena with them.  Kobe who?

The Magic lost their last 10 games, which added to what is the worst record in the NBA.  Finally, a year too late, the head coach was fired.  A very nice man, Jacque Vaughn, a class act by all accounts, and a great dresser, but a terrible coach.  I don't supposed it helped him that at every home game, while most people were chanting "let's go, Magic", a very vocal contingent was harmonizing with "Fire Jacque Vaughn!"  You can see how those would go together, right?

So here is the first game under interim head coach James Borrego, and my boys pull it off, and I sleep through the whole thing.  I really really REALLY hate fibromyalgia.  Chronic pain syndrome.  Whatever.

I'm stepping out of bitching mode now.


Today, a Saturday, I finally got around to preparing those blueberry muffins.  You HAVE to try these.



Monticello Blueberry Muffins

1 box white cake mix
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 dry pint fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wipe the top of the muffin pan with a paper towel sprayed with Pam.  Place a paper liner into each muffin cup.  

Set aside 36 of the blueberries. 

In a large bowl, combine the dry cake mix, baking powder, flour, sour cream, oil, and eggs, and stir together with a wooden spoon; don't worry if there are some lumps left.  Fold in the blueberries very gently with a spatula.  Let the batter sit for five or six minutes, then use the spatula to fold a few more times.




Scoop into the lined muffin cups, dividing the batter evenly between the cups.  Place three of the reserved blueberries on top of each muffin, gently pressing in to the batter.  Bake for 21 minutes in the preheated oven.  Let cool a few minutes, then remove the muffins to a metal rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.




Okay, this seems a good time to discuss just how many muffins or cupcakes my recipes yield.  I use Wilton muffin tins, which have a fairly deep well.  I have other muffin tins, dating back to the early days of married life, and I noticed that while the diameter of the top of the wells is standard, the depths of the wells are not.  So depending on the muffin tin you use, the yield will differ.  I like a nice deep muffin with a high muffin top.  This pan works perfectly for me.  

Why "Monticello" Blueberry Muffins?  Happy summer memories of picking buckets of blueberries at Camp Anawana in Monticello, upstate New York.  Wonderful Catskill years.  Lots of blueberry hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment