Monday, February 2, 2015

Zucchini Carrot Breakfast Muffins

1/31 - "Thirty days have September, April, June, and November, all the rest have thirty-one" ... okay, that helps.  I slept so late into the day today, I wasn't sure what day it was.  I was kind of hoping Super Bowl was over, but it turns out to still be Saturday.

While it seems that fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome, its first cousin and my personal demon, are all about pain, there is actually a panoply of symptoms, including sleep disturbance.


Last night and all the way into this morning I had that sleep disturbance thing going on, waking up every hour.  So when I finally got to the point where I could sleep undisturbed for a few hours, my final wake up time was too embarrassing to mention.  Let's just say it was later than usual.  I tried to eat something, but then I heard about the beheading of the Japanese hostage by ISIS, and I threw up.

It seems to me that this is World War III we are living through.  It may not look like the Big One or the Great War, but it feels like it.  There is a world-wide enemy out there, taking over large portions of sovereign nations, striking at targets all over the globe.  True, these are not the Axis powers of the last century. but these Islamic terrorists are as set on world domination and ethnic cleansing as Hitler and the Nazi government. That's all I can say right now.  The President never listens to me anyway.


There was nothing left to do but bake those zucchini carrot muffins I had been wanting to try all week.  I was inspired by some of the recipes I saw online and came up with a version that I thought would best showcase the zucchini and carrots I love, sweet or savory.


Zucchini Carrot Breakfast Muffins

1 - 18.5 oz. package spice cake mix
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 extra-large egg
1/2 cup chunky applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup shredded zucchini (squeeze out most of the excess liquid with paper towels)
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup golden raisins

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Place 12 paper liners into the wells of a cupcake tin.

Combine the cake mix, spices, eggs, applesauce, and oil in a large bowl, and with a wooden spoon, mix well.  Add the zucchini and carrots, mix to combine, and finally stir in the raisins.



With an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the 12 cups.  Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top of the muffin springs back when gently pressed.  Also, a toothpick should come out clean when stuck into the center of a muffin.  Remove the muffins to a rack to cool completely.


These are good with butter, or plain, but I want to try them with cream cheese.  Everything tastes better with cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment