Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Wake Up, America - Dill Pickle Soup (Link)

You all know I watch too much news.  For someone with my history of depression and anxiety, it's a fool's errand.  But I can't look away.  And neither should you.  Listen:


I have heard people say that if CNN and the Internet had existed in the middle of the last century, there would have been no Holocaust.  I even believed that at one time, believing as well that if the civilized people of the United States could have seen the horrific acts of the Nazi regime, few if any Jews would have died.  I should have known better.  Long before there was an Internet, I took a course in Modern Jewish History while at New Paltz, and learned of the terrible apathy, in the face of knowledge, from the Roosevelt administration.  Even before that, my Pop told me that FDR was an anti-Semite.  The great, revered FDR and his equally anti-Semitic Secretary of State, Cordell Hull.

But this is the 21st century, and we would never tolerate another Holocaust! (Would we?  Could we?)


I think the color photo was taken quite recently.  I picked it off the Internet after seeing it flash on the screen while watching Greta van Susteren.  I know the black and white photo was taken sometime around 1943.  Apparently, the Islamic terrorists are just as careful as the Nazis of keeping photographic records of their handiwork.

Wake up, America.  Mr. Obama, get out of your golf cart, put down that microbrew, and do your job - protect us, sir! Actions speak louder than words, and you could learn a lot from the King of Jordan.

Indiana looking guilty

Now, if you still have your appetite, or expect to regain it in the near future, here is the link to a soup recipe I have been wanting to try for a while.  Since we are just one bowl away from running out of soup, it seemed a propitious time to do so.


I found this on a site called The Noble Pig.  Lots of good things to explore on that site, and not just about pickles.  I want to make it, and I was all ready to make it when I had a cooking fit at 3:00 am, but realized I had a fridge full of vegetables that had to be dealt with expeditiously.  What I came up with is so damn good, I keep thinking Rachael Ray is hiding in my house, preparing soups when I'm not looking.  But this is definitely not one of her recipes - it is totally born of the inspiration that hit me when I looked in the produce drawer.  Whoo Hoo, you're gonna love it!  But that's another blog post.  In the meantime, I would recommend you click on the link for The Noble Pig and try that dill pickle soup.  I'm still keeping it at the top of my list of recipes to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment