Saturday, April 11, 2015

Family Ties



Friday, Day 28 - I hit the ground running this morning.  Ouch.  Yes, all the stuff I hoped to do yesterday I did today. All those phone calls, and now, all those appointments.  More doctors.  More lab tests.  More medical records to gather and redistribute.  Now I am dealing with two labs, two surgeons, two psych persons, three lists.  I really have to take full advantage of this burst of mental clarity at the moment it occurs, and I have, and I'm glad.  By this afternoon, I could be a mushbrain once more.


Today I got a get well card from my office peeps and a get well gift from another colleague.  All those cards I've signed for others over the years, and now I know - they really do work.  I feel better for having received them.  I also just got a bunch of emails and messages from folks concerned about my well-being, and those worked as well.  I feel loved and cared about, and that means so much to me.

Today is also National Siblings Day, at least according to Facebook, the arbiter of all things social.  As you might imagine, given my broad-based family disjunction and dysfunction, I have mixed feelings on this topic, which I posted on Facebook:

So apparently today is National Siblings Day.  That's a complicated issue for me, and I feel a blog post in my immediate future - but let me at least wish my sister Nora Speranza a happy siblings day  ;-) and also to Larry, Fred and Patty looking down from heaven - I wish we'd been able to meet.  Someday.  And to my brother Elliot - someday.  And to my cousin Cary Altschuler, my brother from another mother.

It was only two years ago that I found my father Mike's family and learned that in addition to my younger brother Elliot, I had two older brothers and two younger sisters.  No use crying over spilled milk, but I like to think that I would have had a good relationship with each and every one of them, that we would have shared a childhood and a life.

(Big, deep sigh.)

I am now in possession of the paperwork I need to forward to the Nice Lady in Human Resources regarding my medical leave.  I also did some food shopping at the Walmart grocery to get the important stuff - white chocolate covered peanut butter cups, an avocado, and some tender chicken.  Our dinner appointment with friends got reset to next week (Korean food!) so I have a more immediate need to cook the chicken.   Working on a flavor profile in my head.  I want orange but I don't want it to dominate, so I also want lemon and lime.  I want a little sweetness, but not too much, and I don't want Asian flavors.  I don't want just an orange version of my Greek marinade.  I want it herbacious, but no oregano.  I don't feel like firing up the grill, but I don't want to bake it.

I think I've got it.  I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment