Thursday, April 16, 2015

Another Day, Another Doctor


Wednesday, Day 31 - April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.  Although it's difficult to see in this picture, there is an entire "garden" of blue pinwheels in front of the sign.  This year the pinwheel garden was set up in front of the Historic Courthouse in Kissimmee, under one of the ancient oak trees.  Beautiful.

Children deserve a good childhood, a childhood free of abuse and neglect.  Parenting is the hardest job in the world, and many parents are not up to the task, because of substance abuse, mental health issues, intellectual limitations, poverty, or generational abuse.

There are a number of social programs out there to assist people to become healthier, competent parents, but these need to be funded and promoted.  Families need to be encouraged.  Children need to be protected.  And in case you ever need it, here in Florida, the Abuse Hotline number is 1-800-96-ABUSE.


As polarizing as my sunglasses, my Facebook status declaring that I was "Ready for Hillary" has garnered some reaction.  My nearest and dearest fall into one of two categories - staunchly conservative and strongly liberal. Being a rational anarchist I follow neither path.  I am mostly conservative except when I am liberal.  But even more than that,  Hillary is  perhaps the most polarizing and controversial figure in American politics.  You love her or you hate her, and either side can quote chapter and verse the facts that support their respective positions.  It is going to be a long and interesting election season, and perhaps it is best that that's all I say about that.

Today's odd-looking flower from yesterday's walk

Last night was horrible.  HORRIBLE.  The itching never stopped, even with an extra dose of hydroxyzine, which has left me feeling hungover.  The pups were suffering as well from their own itching issues, scratching and whimpering throughout the long sleepless night.  No sleep whatsoever, and I have to drive to the surgeon's office in north Orlando.  I just hope I don't fall asleep on I-4; it wouldn't be the first time.

I receive a lot of information on fibromyalgia through Facebook, and it amazes me the full range of bizarre symptoms we all seem to share.  The insane itching, the pain in strange places, the exhaustion, the brain fog.  I remember complaining about the brain fog 40 years ago.  Those needle-like shooting pains in my breasts - we know there is nothing on the mammogram or ultrasound to explain them - and then I saw posts from fellow fibro travelers complaining of the same thing.  What a really crappy disease!  I also saw someone asking about problems with swallowing food, and I found that interesting.

Chelsea is driving me crazy this morning.  First she barked her head off until I brought her upstairs, where I have been filling out endless forms for my medical appointment today (is it still relevant that I had my tonsils and adenoids removed in 1956?)  Then she barked her head off because her brothers were downstairs and she wasn't. She still isn't coming with me.

So, the doctor ... oy, the doctor, again.  So many doctor appointments. I could make this my life's work.  Today's appointment gave rise to three more - and so it goes.  I will have the core biopsy procedure on Friday, another mammogram on Monday, and an MRI on Wednesday.  My poor girls are definitely beginning to feel overexposed.

The Magic are finishing their season tonight in Brooklyn.  And tax season is finally, officially over.

From yesterday's walk, photos of some of the old homesteads on Clyde Avenue:




This one needs a lot of work, but the potential is limitless.  The photo doesn't do this justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment