Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Happy Horseradish Loaded Potato Salad


My back is killing me.  So is my tailbone. And yet I am in a pretty good mood.  Go figure.

Both of my guys really like homemade potato salad.  Like meatloaf recipes, I have a number of variations, but I'm always looking for new ones.

When I told Cory what I had in mind, he suggested adding horseradish to the dressing.  Genius, my kid is a genius.

The inspiration for this recipe was a loaded baked potato.  It is frankly delicious.


Happy Horseradish Loaded Potato Salad

1-28 oz. bag honey gold baby potatoes, cooked, cut into eighths
4 slices regular bacon, chopped, cooked, drained
2 green onions, sliced very thin
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Gold's prepared horseradish (you may want to add more)
kosher salt, ground white pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

Let the potatoes cool.  In a large bowl, combine the cooled potatoes, the bacon, and the green onions. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup,  whisk the sour cream and mayonnaise together. Add the horseradish, salt and pepper, and whisk them into the dressing.  Pour the dressing over the potatoes, folding them together.  Add the cheddar.  Chill for one hour before serving.


Nota bene: I feel the same way about Gold's horseradish as I do about Hellman's mayonnaise and Heinz ketchup.  When we first moved to Central Florida, we could not get Gold's in our local supermarket, which put a big damper on Passover.  Eventually it showed up after Publix distributors realized that the Jews were here to stay.  The local stores still have a pretty sparse selection of Jewish foods, which still puts a damper on Passover.  But, as Humphrey Bogart said to Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, "We'll always have Amazon."

Here's looking at you, kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment