Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good: 

My friend Donna got a good report on her PET scan. Way to go!!  Thank you, dear God for listening to our prayers, for guiding the hands and minds of her doctors, and for keeping her safe.

I booked our cruise for next month, and our hotel for Savannah, and also started working on the itinerary for our summer sojourn to Arkansas.

I still can't believe it, but our office is going to be moving to this building.  The building is new, the location is killer ... not killer like my first DCF office in Osceola County, where my windows got shot out twice, but killer overlooking Lake Toho, killer right in the center of downtown with all the new restaurants, killer with adequate parking under cover ... pinch me, it's all a Bobby Ewing dream ...




The Bad:



Is there some reason that our government has turned a blind eye to this price-gouging?  The gas that is being sold at these inflated prices was bought pre-latest Middle East crisis.  Jacking up the prices under the circumstances is outrageous.  It's got to be illegal.  Why is no one in high office taking a stand, demanding that rates be cut, frozen, and otherwise regulated? 

Also bad, very bad:  this past week I became aware that someone has stolen my identity and is using it to purchase various big ticket items.  I have already heard from three different stores regarding credit cards taken in my name, a checking account opened in my name, and other blatant instances of fraud.  I am in the process of filing a police report, contacting the credit companies, and all that jazz, but I can tell you, this is one serious mess.  (There was a little bit of good here, though.  The very helpful officer at KPD checked her computer and told me, "well, your driver's license is still valid and there are no warrants out for your arrest."  Any day I can receive that kind of reassurance from a police officer is a good day indeed.)

... and the ugly:

TALLAHASSEE — "A Clearwater activist has filed an ethics complaint accusing Gov. Rick Scott of using his office to benefit the chain of walk-in clinics he founded.

David Plyer, 64, based his complaint on a St. Petersburg Times report that Scott's health care policies — drug-testing state workers, switching Medicaid patients to private HMOs and shrinking public health clinics — could benefit Solantic Corp., a chain of 32 urgent-care centers in Florida.

The state Commission on Ethics will review the complaint for legal merit before deciding on action. Scott moved his $62 million investment in Solantic into a trust held by his wife, Ann, before taking office.

After the Times story, Scott said the state will not contract with the company while he is governor. "I've been transparent," Scott said Monday."


I am an employee of the state who is required to make certain financial disclosures, and also to take annual ethics training, which I just happened to do yesterday (the deadline is April 15).  As I went through it, I could not help but think, "wow, does the governor know about this?"

Apparently not.  Let us hope the ethics committee has the stones to do the right thing.

No cooking to report, unless you include reheating last week's lunch in the microwave.  Didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment