Friday, April 29, 2011

I've been ionized, but I'm okay now


The same can't be said for my laptop, which has been misbehaving over the past few weeks.  Even my resident computer guru can't fix what ails it, and so the laptop will not be accompanying us on our journey to Georgia.  So much for making sure I booked a hotel with free internet.

The past four days have been a whirlwind of court activity and slogging through paperwork.  It is true that I love what I do, and I understand what Confucius meant when he said, “Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life,” but then Confucius never worked in my area of law ... I don't think it had been invented back then, even by those clever far-sighted Chinese.


Teddy Roosevelt said it better, in my opinion: "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. "  So I worked very hard at work worth doing, and all I can say is Thank God it's Friday, especially this Friday, as I have taken annual leave to make the trip to Savannah.  That also meant that I played catch up with paperwork all day Thursday, trying to meet deadlines as best I could.   Well worth the effort, I will be able to relax and enjoy our weekend.

ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS, WE PRINT

You're not as kinky as you think

You can read this or not - it's not obscene or anything - the only reason I mention it is because it struck me funny, when I saw the title on the side of my news page, that "sure enough, it's in the New York Post."  Some things never change.

Family Ties: The Embarrassing Relatives Will and Kate are praying will behave on the big day

Just in case you've been living in a cave the last few months:  after much anticipation and a surfeit of media attention, Prince William and Catherine Middleton were married sometime in the middle of the night our time.  That's all I know, because even I was asleep at the magic moment, except that the wedding gown was quite lovely, very Grace Kelly-ish.  I have to say, after reading this article, I have a much better appreciation for certain members of my own family, who put aside their own differenceS to attend my wedding back in 1974.  We thought there might be some problems when one of my great-uncles sent back his response card with a note that said "please don't seat me at the same table with that bitch Woozy" (actually he used her real name, but you don't need that to appreciate the story), but since Woozy wanted to sit at another table anyway, it all worked out.

Sex on the beach was 'gross lewdness' deputy says

And here I thought it was a mixed drink with vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice, and orange juice.  That "lascivious behavior" will get you every time, especially on Jungle Hut Road (I'm not making this up) in broad daylight.

Carrier

Armadillos pass leprosy to humans, study finds

So resist the temptation to barbecue that roadkill.  And don't plan on attending any armadillo festivals in the future, especially if you live in Texas or Louisiana.

I would have liked to blog from the road, but with the laptop on the fritz I'm dead in the water.  I'll be on Facebook from my iPhone, but it's just not the same.  I guess I'll have to knit.  Ten hours total driving time and I am determined to finish the Cat's Paw scarf, which is moving slower than ... well, slower than an armadillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment