Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Major and The Minor (Rant, that is)

Why is this night different from all other nights?

Sundown, April 18th, 2011:  Last day of Tax Season, first night of Passover.

And it is finally over.  Rob is home eating Pesach Pescado Plaki  (recipe on our sister blog) and all is well with the world.  Well, maybe not with the world, but at least for this moment, with this family.

A zissen Pesach, everyone.

And now, a minor rant:

I am very sorry, but I simply cannot tolerate the Eleventh Doctor.  He creeps me out with his weird facial structure.  He reminds me of Lurch from The Addams Family, except that was makeup.

Lurch-addams-family-6160640-456-480
The late Ted Cassidy as Lurch and Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor   

Everybody has a Favorite Doctor.  Or at the very least, A Most Familiar Doctor, and for American TV viewers, that would have to be Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor.

Picture of Jeff Goldblum
Tom Baker and Jeff Goldblum: Separated at Birth?

Come to think of it, Tom Baker is sort of creepy-looking.  No, my favorite remains the Ninth Doctor, although the Tenth Doctor sort of grows on you after a while.  But as long as the Eleventh Doctor is in office, I'll skip the trip to BBC America.

And now, the Major Rant of the Day:

Can somebody shut this guy up?  I'll even donate the duct tape:

Trump: I'll Release My Tax Returns When Obama Releases His Birth Certificate

Donald Trump has promised to disclose the details of his finances if he decides to run for president, but not necessarily his tax returns.  In our interview yesterday, he laid out a new condition for their release.

“Maybe I’m going to do the tax returns when Obama does his birth certificate…I’d love to give my tax returns.  I may tie my tax returns into Obama’s birth certificate,” Trump said.

We covered a lot of ground in our 35 minute sit-down – gas prices, his response to the Club for Growth, whether his businesses buy in America and why he no longer supports universal health care and a women’s right to choose – and Trump stood his ground on the “birther” controversy.

Stephanopoulos: You say it’s all about the messenger.  A lot of Republicans think you’re a flawed messenger for the party.  Karl Rove, again over the weekend, saying you’re a joke candidate, if you continue to raise questions about President Obama’s citizenship.

Trump: There’s a real question about the birth certificate.  There’s a real question about the-- his own-- his own citizenship.

Stephanopoulos: There-- there is-- there is no question.

Trump: But-- but let me just say--

Stephanopoulos: He’s got a certificate of live birth that is recognized by the State Department.

Trump: But for some reason-- no, they’re not the facts.  He doesn’t have a birth certificate or he hasn’t provided.  He’s given a certificate of live birth.  It’s a much different instrument.

The rest of the article can be found by clicking this link.

To say that this concerns me on several different levels is an understatement.  Under the best of circumstances, "The Donald" is a huge joke.  Long before Trump hit the national scene, we New Yorkers had had our fill of him.  He was, and still is, a tabloid reporter's dream.  On a more serious note, he represents a disturbing trend wherein someone with buckets of money can simply buy the public office they want.  Think Rick Scott.  Even if he doesn't win, he's going to become an annoying distraction.  Think Ross Perot.  What if The Donald doesn't win the Republican Party nomination and decides to run independently?  That might just send us back to the Recount Hell days of 2000.  Do we really want a right wing Ralph Nader throwing sand in the engine?

Finally - if memory serves me correctly, the only birth certificate I have is a Certificate of Live Birth issued by the City of New York.  I have never been able to obtain my long form birth certificate; although I have had to apply to get copies several times in the past, they keep sending me the "short form."  Since it lists all the pertinent information - my name, my parents' names, the date and borough of my birth (Brooklyn, of course), and most importantly displays the sacred raised seal,  I have been able to obtain a passport, apply to become a member of the Florida Bar, and in pre-passport days, travel to and from places like Canada and the Bahamas.  No one has ever questioned my citizenship, and if they did, I would be pretty damn insulted.

Here is another reason why I list my political party as "Rational Anarchist":

GOP insiders embrace Trump's presidential bid
WASHINGTON (AP) — Out with Sarah. In with The Donald.

President Barack Obama has launched his re-election bid in a low-key manner, but the Republican Party's search for a challenger seems stranger by the day.

GOP celebrities like Sarah Palin aren't getting much buzz. Mainstream candidates like Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty aren't getting much traction. It's people once considered highly unlikely to compete seriously for the party's nomination who are creating big stirs in early voting states, a reflection of an unformed and uncertain GOP presidential field.

GOP activists in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina appear deeply intrigued by, and open to, a run by Donald Trump, the publicity-loving business tycoon and host of NBC's "The Apprentice," even as he perpetuates falsehoods about Obama's citizenship and questions the legitimacy of his presidency.

The GOP is taking him seriously.   Who next, Charlie Sheen?

No comments:

Post a Comment