Friday, April 1, 2011

To tell you the truth, this weather is starting to get on my nerves!

If I wanted rain all the time, I would have relocated to Seattle. 



But this is not Seattle, this is Kissimmee, and I can't get out of my car so I can pick up lunch.  My trial started an hour late because of traffic issues caused by the rain.  I had at least one unhappy witness, and I can't say I blame her.

All day long ... rain rain rain ... my feet feel clammy, my clothes are damp, my hair is flat, my head is ready to explode.  It hurts to wear my hat.  It hurts to move my eyes. 

It is soup weather.

I thought a lot about clam chowder.  Toyed with the idea of carrot or squash soup.  Looked at soup recipes involving mussels, scallops, or corn.  Realized I didn't want seafood or creamy or thick type soups. 

Chicken soup weather.  With tiny meatballs made from ground chicken.  A mirepoix of onion, carrot, and celery.  Chicken stock.  I thought about adding cannellini beans or vermicelli, but decided it would make the soup too heavy, too much like a white chili, or just too ordinary. 


Mexican Chicken Meatball Enchilada Soup

This soup is definitely not ordinary.  I was very pleased with the meatballs, which have a great complex taste usually missing from ground chicken recipes.  There is a little bit of heat to the soup from a secret ingredient, but not enough to make your nose run.  If you like things a little milder, stir in a spoon of sour cream just before eating.  Either way, don't forget those cute little tortilla strips.  They make a very tasty and colorful garnish.

Cook like there's nobody watching, and eat like it's heaven on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment