Thursday, April 28, 2011

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat

Stan Van Gundy is starting to sweat.  My team is going down, down, down.  I can't sit still long enough to watch the massacre.  The Magic are not playing badly, but they aren't playing as brilliantly as the night before last.  And the Hawks have the home court advantage.  It hurts to watch.

If we can't win it, I hope the Boston Celtics win the Eastern Conference.  I still love Shaquille O'Neal.  And I hope the Lakers lose the Western Conference.  It goes without saying that I would not like to see the Miami Heat win anything.

As Yogi Berra says, "it ain't over till it's over."


Yogi Berra said a lot of stuff ... and this is why I love the Internet.  I started by searching for Yogi Berra quotes, which made me think of malapropisms, which led me to mondegreens, spoonerisms, and eggcorns.  Which led me to laugh hysterically while the Magic continued to go down, down, down.

Yogi is still the master of the fractured phrase ... stuff like "it's deja vu all over again" and "when you come to a fork in the road, take it."  He somehow manages to sound deeply philosophical, with pronouncements like "If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."  Reminds me of something said by the infinitely wise Chinese philosopher, Confucius:  "No matter where you go -  there you are."


Yes, I said Confucius.

And now, I am sorry to say it is over.  Congratulations to the Atlanta Hawks.  And for my Magic - there's always next year.  I still love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment