Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WIP it, WIP it good

I fell off the wagon yesterday.  I started another scarf.  Another WIP (work in progress) to add to my rather lengthy list of existing projects in various states of completion.  I couldn't help myself.  I can tell you that the yarn made me do it ... so soft, so light, so sunny.  I found a nice lacy pattern, and worked it into a scarf with lacy side stitches.  No garter stitch to force it into a neat rectangle, but instead, I let the pattern dictate a naturally decorative edge.

I am trying to post a picture, but my iPhone is in a state of somnolence despite having been plugged in for charging overnight. Picture to follow.  Here we go:


The iPhone gets balky sometimes.  I think that in the middle of the night, the iPhone conspires with Mandy, my GPS, to think up new ways to torment me.  There's an episode of "Doctor Who" which acted as a cautionary tale as to why we should not rely so much on machines and electronic devices, especially in our cars.

Our home is apparently under attack by a flock of wild turkeys who have the audacity to stroll up and down the side of the house, driving my two boy dogs to distraction.  I think maybe we caught a break with the weather, because while the rain came yesterday as expected, it blew over by the late afternoon, and since then the skies have been cool and clear.  That is good mood-making, as I head over to the courthouse for a day of review hearings.  It also means I can get away with wearing my light green Saroyan scarf, as my lucky color for today is spring green.

It has been a lovely day.  But both morning and afternoon in court have left me dragging.  Driving home, I had the illusion of taking the doggies out for a nice walk, Athene in her stroller and her brothers on their leashes.  Two seconds after walking into the house, I pushed that thought aside.  I could lie down on the couch and take a nap instead.

But before I nap, I would like to take a few (more) potshots at Governor Voldemort, also known as Rick Scott. 

Richard Lynn "Rick" Scott (born December 1, 1952) is an American politician who is the 45th and current Governor of the U.S. state of Florida.  He earned a business degree and law degree and joined a Dallas firm where he became partner. In 1987 he helped found the Columbia Hospital Corporation with two business partners; this merged with Hospital Corporation of America in 1989 to form Columbia/HCA and eventually became the largest private for-profit health care company in the U.S. He was forced to resign as Chief Executive of Columbia/HCA in 1997 amid a scandal over the company's business and Medicare billing practices; the company ultimately admitted to fourteen felonies and agreed to pay the federal government over $600 million.

This article, from the Huffington Post, sums it up, targeting each of Scott's failings, questionable actions, and dirty dealings designed to promote self-enrichment.  Have we become so jaded that we no longer blink an eyelash when the people running for office are convicted felons, or likely to become convicted felons during their term of office?  Why have we come to accept the fact that all politicians are dirty, and we just have to be content to vote for the lesser of two evils?

This is not just a Florida phenom, by the way; who can forget those videos of Washington D.C. Mayor Marion Berry smoking crack, subsequently serving time in Federal prison?  That did not stop the good people of the District of Columbia from electing him to another term as Mayor and various terms as councilman.  I remember wondering at the time, "what were they thinking?"  Which leads to the inevitable question to half of the voting population of Florida - what the hell were you thinking?  You freaking put a crook in office, and we have no provision for recall! (My friend from junior high school, Hugh, suggested an exorcism, but darn it, not in the Constitution.  Not that Rick Scott has ever read the Florida Constitution, much less resolved to uphold it.)

My father always told me that "politics were the dirtiest game in town", and I know he was right, but there are some honest politicians, or if not completely honest, aspiring to be honest.  Or honorable.  Or both, like this former Florida Governor

There is a reason why Voldemort is skirting our transparency laws, why he has basically shut out the media.  He does not want public scrutiny of his dirty deals.  You would think he was governing from Tammany Hall instead of Tallahassee.

I know we don't have to reelect him, but have you considered just how much damage he can do to the political, educational, and financial infrastructure in our state over the next 3 years?  And speaking of disastrous reelections, did you know that back in the 1990s, Rick Scott was a partner of George W. Bush in the ownership of the Texas Rangers?


Still haven't gotten to the rutabagas.  I haven't forgotten ...

Cook like there's nobody watching, and eat like it's heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment